Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learning and using new ideas.  Thanks! >

Learning and using new ideas. Thanks!

Learning and using new ideas. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:54 AM

I am a new quilter but have been sewing my whole life. I have learned and am using so many ideas that I have gotten off of this board. I wish I knew who posted these ideas, so I could thank them personally. One big thing is the use of scraps. I now have several boxes for scraps. I have one for selveges, one for tiny scraps, and one for small scraps. I am using masking tape next to my machinein order to put my threads on. This has helped with getting threads through out the house! I am very short on cotton fabric but all I have has been sorted through and I know what I have and even better I know where every piece is. I have gained an appreciation for the scrap quillt, so I know I don't have to buy a bunch of expensive fabric to quilt. And I am sure many other things. What have you both learned from the board and have started using?
Old 09-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I have learned tips here and there. I have also learned from the tutes. I really appreciate the friends I have made and I always have somewhere to go to find an answer to my questions. I have also learned some neat ways to do longarm quilting from finished quilt photos.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 AM

I have learned to never use the lines on the cutting mat to cut by, how to make a Bargello quilt, and today what to do with kaleidoscope blocks I've had for years. It is a constant learning process. I love it.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 AM

Specifically how to look at other quilts and see the beauty even if it isn't my preference!!

That you don't need every quilting gadget on the market!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:22 AM

1. Starting and ending blocks. I now cut out squares I want to use in a 4P, 9P or other design and keep them next to my machine. I grab one to use at start and end of blocks I am working on then drop them in a box near the machine. Without any extra work I get them all put together for my next project.
2. Using color and contrast to make a block look completely different. I used to only arrainge like the pattern was pictured. i have learned to experiment more.
3. No quilt police. I have learned to try new ideas and know that no one can say it is wrong; it's my quilt to do as I like.
Thanks to all.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 AM

Thanks for sharing ladies!