Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
leaving a sewing machine in a car >

leaving a sewing machine in a car

leaving a sewing machine in a car

Old 11-24-2016, 10:50 AM

I never leave a machine in the car, might melt the inner parts
Old 11-24-2016, 11:26 AM

my machines are all electronics. at one of our quilting meets last winter some group members were telling how their repair persons had said that they shouldn't leave their machines out in vehicles in extreme cold or heat. most of them only have computerized machines. our temps range from low teens and below, to 90's & low 100's ...extremes are hard on chips and lubricants according to machine maintenance people.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone View Post
i leave a janome computerized machine in my car year round for class and guild sewing. I keep it in a big thermal bag, the kind you buy for food. No problem with it at allwhw.
what a good idea using the thermal bag for machine....
Old 11-24-2016, 07:22 PM

I would never leave anything valuable in a vehicle unguarded. There are too many people out there who wouldn't think twice about stealing. It's a sad world.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I leave a Janome computerized machine in my car year round for class and guild sewing. I keep it in a big thermal bag, the kind you buy for food. No problem with it at all.
Yes, a good idea...
Old 11-25-2016, 07:21 AM

I don't have a quilting space at home, so most of my sewing is done by taking my machine out. I have a rolling carrier and I never leave my machine in the car. Fabrics and projects yes.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:06 PM

My machine and yours were shipped from another country, almost surely in an ocean-going shipping container - no temperature control. it was then left in a big warehouse somewhere - probably not temperature controlled. The machine was then probably shipped to your local shop by a tractor trailer - not temperature controlled. Storage temperature requirements are always much wider for electronics than operating requirements. I definitely agree you should let your machine warm/cool to room temperature before using it, but it should be fine. I go to a sewing group that meets after work. I always took my machine with me. Unless it was below zero or above 80, I didn't worry about it. I did make sure it wasn't in direct sunlight, sometimes out a blanket over it, and I took it out of its case as soon as I got to our location, but it did not die. In fact, I have been doing this win my beloved Bernina 440 for well over 10 years, and it is none the worse for wear.

Pam (who worked in electronics design for many years)
Old 11-25-2016, 02:21 PM

I learned a lesson about leaving my sewing machine in a car a few years ago. I went to guild and took in some of my stuff, intending to get the machine later. There was a break in of several (about 7) of our cars. Smashed windows, glass all over and my sewing machine and paper pieced blocks I took for show and tell gone. It was awful, never recovered anything and our deductible was so high that insurance didn't kick in. The thieves were quick, took them less than 10 minutes to do.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:54 AM

My friend put her retreat bags, fabrics and projects, including sewing machine and her clothes in her vehicle, her husband was sitting outside having his morning coffee, saw a vehicle (large truck) drive up, didn't think much about it, and the person(s) in the truck, got into her vehicle and cleaned it out of all her items. He said he never heard a thing - she lost everything. One of the local shops sold her a new sewing machine at a great discount, she went shopping for some new clothes, while the quilt shop got together some fabrics and projects for her to take to retreat. I was so impressed how the community stepped up to the plate for her.

She is such a wonderful lady _ well over 80 years old, and was determined not to miss retreat, she was a little late arriving, however put it all behind her and carried on.....she said she only hoped her new undies fit the thieves....she never did get any of it back. She still drives all over by herself, everyday she goes out and walks the Malls, as she broke her hip and has to walk.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:12 PM

I leave my vintage machine in my van all the time. The truth is I have a traveling sewing room in my van most of the time. I have duplicates of all my sewing supplies. Because my machine is mechanical, I do not worry about it being in the van. I also lock my vehicle every time I get out of it.