Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
leaving a sewing machine in a car >

leaving a sewing machine in a car

leaving a sewing machine in a car

Old 11-26-2016, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I also lock my vehicle every time I get out of it.
I grew up in a place where your car could easily disappear if you left it unlocked so I have always locked my car doors. I then spent 25 years in a place with extremely low crime rate. Almost all my friends never locked their cars at home or a store, but I always did. Good habit for sure! Maybe I should have said when I left my machine in my car at work that I was in a military contractor parking lot with restricted access and guards monitoring video cameras. I still locked my car!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:57 PM

Thank you all for your input. Fortunately I don't live in an area where theft is a big issue. Plus my parents drive way gets packed and makes for no easy get aways if there was a break in.

the good news is that I put the machine in my niece's car. It sat in 40 degree temperature for several hours and it was not affected. Works just fine Now I know
Old 11-27-2016, 07:02 AM

A short time if fine. The main thing to do is not turn it on until it has been inside for a while to warm up. Just like you would a laptop, in cold or hot, make it room temp before turning it on.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:52 AM

My cousin used to laugh at me. When I drove my convertible with the top down, I would lock the doors every time I parked it. It is a very good habit.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:04 AM

Had a friend leave her 15000 in car (of course it was 100+ here in the summer); melted the mother board and had to be replaced. I would never, never, never leave my machine in the car; it is like my child, take care of it. And, if the heat (doesn't get that cold here, so can't say about the cold, still wouldn't leave it)doesn't get it I would not want car to get broken into and get stolen.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

My machine and yours were shipped from another country, almost surely in an ocean-going shipping container - no temperature control. it was then left in a big warehouse somewhere - probably not temperature controlled. The machine was then probably shipped to your local shop by a tractor trailer - not temperature controlled.
Machine makers aren't going to risk machines being ruined by temps in shipping and storage.
Machines are shipped encased in thick styrofoam molded to fit the machine. That keeps the machine protected from temperature changes. Not many get or keep the original packaging which would be the safest way to keep a machine safe from temp changes.