Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Led Lights >

Led Lights

Led Lights

Old 09-20-2012, 02:54 AM

I bought one online (not Connecting Threads) and loved it, but I have a Bernina and where I had to attach it to maximize the light, is right in the way when I am free motioning a quilt. When I do anything of any size, it rubs on the light and eventually managed to peal it off. They were great and replaced the light bar with the sticky stuff for me, but it is going to do the same thing next time. My suggestion would be to consider what kind of quilting you do, and see where you might have to attach it to your machine before purchasing. And just FYI the little ones that take batteries that JoAnn's sell, are worthless, they project almost no light.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
I have a bendable, stickon, electric, led light from Nancys Notions.....on my quilting sewing machine. Do not know how I would be able to live without it.....good pin point light at the needle, where I need it....I am very carefull about turning it off when I walk away from the machine so I will get good life out of it......
I do , too, and I LOVE IT. The only thing is that after a while, the metal bendable arm gets weaker and I have had to tape it to the machine to direct the light at the needle where I want it. But I can live with that because it's such a good light. It also comes with 2 disks so you can move it from one machine to another if you want.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 AM

Might try one of these first - they're $15, clip on, and battery operated. [h=1]Verso Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle (White)[/h]
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
Might try one of these first - they're $15, clip on, and battery operated. Verso Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle (White)
I found that no matter what I did to the "Velcro attach" ones they just would not stay steady.....while sewing it was ......'follow the bouncing ball' could not handle it and had to take them off for another use somewhere else.......
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 AM

I really appreciate this topic! I have been curious about the new LED lighting from http://www.ecoluxlighting.com/
I saw the advertisement for them and thought they would be perfect for my Designer 1, but the cost stopped me from ordering them. It's great to know that they really are exactly what they say they are!
I do have auxilary lighting for my machines and it is fabulous but as everyone else has mentioned they do get in the way when you are working on a large project or when I am embroidering.
Thanks for a great topic!!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 AM

The stick on strips were recommended by Bonnie Hunter not too awfully long ago. At that time, I meant to look into them and lost the link - so a huge thank you!

As far as having to replace the machine when the LED light goes - I've had the LED bulb on my Bernina replaced. I caught it by mistake and tugged it just enough to break it. It wasn't cheap to replace, and had to be done by my service person, but was quickly replaced.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
Has anybody tried them yet? I don't have enough light on my Janome 6600. I've been looking at them online and just got the Connecting Threads catalog where they are featured also. I just don't know whether to invest in them or not. Would appreciate hearing any and all responses.

One of my machines has an LED and MINE simply does not up out light. I have a goose neck desk lamp that I put a high watt squigly florescent in and it's my auxiliary light.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:36 PM

FYI, I emailed ecolux to ask if the lights were bendable. A very nice guy emailed me back to say it will bend on a gentle curve, so, I'm thinking of placing it on the underside of my machine and curving it around the space where my needle goes down. I'm very pleased with the customer service. He's emailed me 3 times letting me know that his wife has these lights on every machine she has. I'll bet she does, Scott. lol.

He said I should get my light by Saturday or Monday..... Can't wait!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:31 PM

These sound like a good idea for a good light source. Is there something negative about a magnetic stick-on light being used on computer type embroidery machines? Seems like I read once that you should not stick anything on your computerized sewing machine with magnets as the magnet interfers with the machine's workings. So do you know if it is OK or not OK to use a magnetic stick on light?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

the throat of my machine isn't very large. i worry pushing a quilt through that would rip that light right off! otherwise, more light is great!