Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left handed cutting. >

Left handed cutting.

Left handed cutting.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 PM

I am left handed and everytime I use my rotary cutter I get confuse about where to put my ruler to cut. It always seems like I am clumsy at it. Don't know the rules if you are left handed do it like this! Hope someone can help lefty here. I should have listened to that nun in 1st grade.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:55 PM

I am not sure how you would do it. I do know that I cut starting on the far right of my fabric and cut on the right side of the ruler and I cut backwards like.... Im cutting 2 inch strips, I start at the 26 inch mark and go backwards to 24, 22, 20. I would think, but I am not sure as I am right handed, that you would cut your fabric from the left and cut on the left side of your ruler and cut 2 inch, 4 inch, 6 inch. Do you understand what I am saying?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM

I cut across from the left side to the right side on a long strip. If I cut pieces I put my ruler on the right side measure and cut the piece on the left side.Clear as mud??
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM

I'm a lefty and I cut from the far right side of the fabric. I have to square it up from the left side of the fabric so the ruler is over the majority of the fabric, cut to square, then I flip it so the squared edge is on the far right. You will line up the squared edge of the fabric to the mark on the ruler at which you want to cut, i.e. 2 1/2". I hold the ruler down with my right hand and cut with the left. My cut 2 1/2" fabric will obviously be under the ruler and I continue going from right to left lining up the edge of the fabric with the mark on the ruler I want to cut at.

Ok, clear as mud I'm sure. LOL. I would check the internet too, there are many places to find lefty instructions. That's just how I do it.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:14 PM

I'm a lefty--for writing and hand sewing But for cutting I listened to my teacher and cut right handed.. I use rotary cutter in BOTH talk about confusing. But I love, LOVE my Fiskars 24inch Rotary Ruler the cutter is attached to the ruler and can cut up to a 6 1/2 inch strip. No worry where your hand or fingers are blade can't slip You just push down to engage blade and slide. Material doesn't slid either has a "gripper" Can't recommend it enough I looked on You tube but didn't find anyone using one of these got mine at Walmart years ago. Didn't mean to write a book:):)
Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 PM

I'm left handed. when I rotary cut the blade is installed on the top of the cutter if it is laying on the table, So it is installed where it is next to the ruler when I cut. I cut from bottom to top away from me. My right hand covers the ruler and the bulk of the fabric, so I guess you could say I cut from left to right side of fabric.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM

My rotary cutter is to the left of the ruler.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM

I will be aware the next time I cut and write down how I am doing it. Something does not seam correct when I am doing this. It seams when I am looking at the ruler , the inches are the end not the beginning. Thank you
Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 PM

thanks Jamie, I understood all you said and I think that is what I do.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:42 PM

Quiltlonger, That tool sounds what I need. Thanks for telling me about it. I did not know they made such a cutter.