Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left Handed >

Left Handed

Left Handed

Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 AM

I am left handed also, I had a first grade teacher who smacked my hand with a ruler for not using my right hand. My mom and dad are left handed also, I have 5 brothers and sister who are all right handed.

I have no trouble cutting with scissors, or a rotary cutter, but would like to find a ruler for lefties.

My mom taught me how to do everything left handed. I remove my pins from the left side, pins pointing towards raw edges facing towards the motor of the machine. Does that make sense? I thought everyone pinned this way. LOL

I batt a ball right handed, also bowl left handed. I guess

Lefties are supposed to be very creative, from what I have seen here, all of the beautiful quilts it does not seem to make a difference.
JulieM
Old 12-21-2009, 05:12 AM

One thing I find EXTREMELY frustrating is that instructions are written for those that are right handed and the last sentence will say if you're left-handed do the opposite. That makes me crazy because sometimes I need to read directions over and over which means that I have to read and reverse, read and reverse, read and reverse.... sometimes pictures are involved, how easy is it to reverse a picture in your head!! I have learned to look at pictures in a mirror which helps.
Oh and scissors that are supposedly universal AREN'T.
If you draw a line and try to cut on the line you will be @ 1/16 off.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:56 AM

I'm not, but my sister is.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 AM

I also am left-handed, but have used my right hand for all the "right-handed stuff", scissors, etc. I've really never had a problem, no beef here.
:D
Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 AM

My pet peeve is when others comment on my being left handed (LH) as though it is a disease!! I see it as a unique trait - after all, there are fewer LHers and I can choose to interpret that as special! I personally think it is more of an advantage than a hindrance - like acquiring the ambidextrous skills and having more L and R brain crossover and function. I personally would like RH others to just not find it necessary to so often make the comments about seating arrangements, etc. - I and likely most LHers can easily make their own adjustments without disrupting anyone else.
I seem to have adjusted to using sewing tools O.K. Most rotary cutters can be changed to LH and when I got some tendonitis, the Martelli LH cutter was a great purchase. Changing the direction/side of the fabric and ruler on the mat solves that dilemma easily.. The extra time I take to interpret patterns means I have looked more closely at all the steps and less likely, I think, to make a mistake. Ambi scissors are fine and my LH gingher shears are a bonus.
Although I have L and R confusion at times I have learned to treat it with a sense of humor - after all, think of all the naturally curly haired people who would like to have straight hair sometimes and the straight haired who would like curly. Having curly hair is often seen as an advantage - except to some of those with curly hair. I hope I have not offended anyone, I have not meant to - its really that being L handed is just one of the things that makes me who I am, no better or worse than anyone else.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Yes Yes Yes ctmhjenn I to wish they would make a left handed sewing machine and left handed rulers. Someone talked about left handed rotary cutters. Where can I get one? Being left handed and trying to cut,read patterns and sew is a real struggle for me. I have always said every quilt I make I make twice with all the ripping out,re cutting, resewing but I refuse to give up.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Being a lefty has not ever been a problem for me except those silly one sided desks. Other than that, I consider it an advantage in a few things. I have a friend who said she couldn't see how I could do things left handed. So I told her I couldn't see how she could do things right handed. LOL Also had three children, all are lefties as well. My brother is lefty also but had to switch to his right hand due to some nerve problem later in life. And, yes, we lefties are the only ones in our right mind and also usually more intelligent and more creative than the norm. So, I enjoy being a lefty. I hope I qualify for the "talented" and "smarter" categories. LOL
Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

This is a poem I wrote about 5 years ago on the subject of being left-handed in a right-handed world. I LOVE being left-handed. It makes me stand out from the crowd. About 9 or 10 percent of the population is left-handed, but the men outnumber the women two to one. (even in my own group I'm special).

IN YOUR RIGHT-HANDED WORLD

Yes, hire the left-handed.
It’s fun to watch them write.
I’ll bet you didn’t have a clue,
How many of us are bright.

Problem solving skills we have,
Inventions we have wrought.
Ponder all that lefties do,
With our opposing thought.

Schweitzer was among our group,
And old Ben Franklin too.
Joan of Arc, and Edward R.,
Just to name a few.

The things you take for granted,
For us can be a task.
To you we may seem backward.
“Why is it so?” you ask.

But in our “right minds” southpaws say,
“It’s you who backward be,
Just because we number few,
It’s our point, don’t you see?”

Our numbers are increasing though.
The ratio is mounting,
And someday soon we’ll take command.
On this, I know we’re counting.

Okay, I’m joking on that point.
But don’t you see our plight?
How many items built for you,
Who use them on the right?

I’d love to see you deal with,
the things we have to bear.
And even dieing younger too,
Or don’t you even care?

So when you think in great concern,
Of poor minorities,
Remember us, the 10 percent.
Be kind to lefties, PLEASE!!

Anne L. Fulton
February 14, 2004
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Old 12-21-2009, 08:35 AM

Olfa makes a cutter that the blade can be changed to either left or right handed
Old 12-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

yes, i've never understood why scissors won't work with either hand. very odd. there are times when i'd like to cut with my left hand but it usually won't work.