Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lego Quilt >

Lego Quilt

Lego Quilt

Old 07-06-2010, 03:59 PM

So my nephew has requested a Lego design for his quilt. I haven't found any patterns or even any decent pictures of finished "lego" quilts to help me design the thing. I am a advanced beginner so it has to be relativly basic in construction, medium sized applique pieces are okay.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should go about this project?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Is there any Lego fabric out there like there is for Tinkerbell & Lightning McQueen, etc?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM

What about blocks that look like legos? Rectangles with circles in them, or from the side, it could be a rectangle with squares sticking up for the bumps.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:03 PM

i have not seen lego fabric, but you could probably piece a lego building, truck, etc. it would be more primary than advanced. how old is your nephew?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:02 PM

He is five. Primary colors would be easy enough and cheaper than licensed fabric. I especially like the truck idea. Now to get it down as a design. Thanks fore the ideas.

Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
i have not seen lego fabric, but you could probably piece a lego building, truck, etc. it would be more primary than advanced. how old is your nephew?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Whoops, link was too long. There is a nice one on the first results page when I typed lego quilt into google images (a lot like what "uglycook" described when she suggested a rectangle with a small square on top) and there are a few more, good luck!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 PM

Once upon a time, there were Lego sheets made that looked like Lego bricks stacked together. There were also Lego Bionicle sheets made, too. I have seen Lego fabric but it is from Japan so it would be pricey if you can find it. You may find the sheets on eBay.

Otherwise, you could do rectangles with smaller rectangles on top like the studs on the Lego bricks. I am pretty sure this is the same thing everyone else is describing. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

I can't wait to see what you decide. My son loved legos for years.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by KellyK
Whoops, link was too long. There is a nice one on the first results page when I typed lego quilt into google images (a lot like what "uglycook" described when she suggested a rectangle with a small square on top) and there are a few more, good luck!
Ok, trying to link agains: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...93730931PDfHSe hmmm the quilt is by latterbe75 in his/her webshots account found on google images...
and another... pieced and applique? looks great
http://legotimothy.blogspot.com/2009...log-entry.html
Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 AM

On Mother's Day this year my 25yr old son played a dvd he'd downloaded which showed a 2-storey house being built from lego bricks in a field somewhere in England - thousands of people put together the coloured rectangles and made a really special house, able to be lived in overnight - it brought back some lovely memories of our lego experiences during his and his older brother's childhood days. If people can make a real house from Lego, I'm sure you'll come up with an idea for a quilt - try using the instruction sheets which come with lego kits or the lego catalogues we bought years ago!! Ours are all packed away in crates - I can't bear to part with thousands of A$s birthday and christmas presents. Visit your local toy store too.