Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Less desirable thread >

Less desirable thread

Less desirable thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 AM

I purchased the pinking blade for my rotary cutter and that works great for trimming the fabric edges before washing…..don't have to stand at the washer with scissors in hand before placing fabric in dryer.
and a whole lot easier to just zip along the edge!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
This must mean that the thread we've used in quilts and garments is also going bad?! That's not a very encouraging thought. How old would you say is old?

The thread used to sew a quilt is not going through the needle again. It will weaken over time just like the fabric but that's normal.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:09 AM

Quilts get washed and therefore I think it gets its necessary moisture and does not dry rot. You would have to read up on that topic. I do know that I have a baby quilt that was made for me by my great grandmother and every year I take it and gently hand wash and line dry. I was told to always do that and it shouldn't fall apart. So far it hasn't but I'm not an expert.

Thread, I can understand not using old thread. You just don't know. If you are having trouble with thread breaking or skipping, I would throw the thread away if I know it was old. I'm sure some can be just find if they were kept in ideal conditions. I don't buy old thread and I sew enough that they wouldn't get old. I would not buy thread from a thrift store or garage sale though. Did you ever buy a tin of buttons and there is one little old spool in the tin? Try sewing on a button with it, it will break when you tie a knot. That is bad thread. I was just sharing what I was taught.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wow I Like That View Post
Quilts get washed and therefore I think it gets its necessary moisture and does not dry rot.
That makes sense. Thanks! I'm glad to be made aware of this.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I use old thread for basting. I have a lot of wooden spools with very little and found a small cabinet they will look really cute in. I have little repair kits and use old thread in those. Nail kits are great for repair kits. You can use the small emery boards to sharpen the needle. I use sticky back felt to hold needles.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:06 AM

I also use my old thread for basting quilts. This week I emptied 3 or 4 spools between basting a small "quilt" to practice free motion quilting and in the quilting as well. Before moving I donated Zip-Lock bags of spools of thread to a hospice thrift store just to get rid of some of it. I also strung some old wooden spools on a narrow ribbon to make a garland to decorate my sewing room.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:58 PM

I was recently watching a show on TV and they had a suggestion of how to avoid fabrics getting tangled. You fan fold the fabric and put a couple of pins on the top and bottom
Old 10-01-2014, 04:22 PM

celwood, do you mean safety pins?

Fan folding, great suggestion, I hate washing backing fabrics because of the tangling.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Interesting concept. I just disliked doing all the prep work and then the washing and ironing. Just got into the habit of not washing. But I am happy you found a way to use up that old thread. I still have my Grandmothers thread and she was born in the last 1800s. It is still on the original wooden spools.
I recently found a small ladder from a bunk bed set on curbside, it's just thin enough that I'm going to use it for my wooden spools display.