Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Less desirable thread >

Less desirable thread

Less desirable thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:46 PM

Default Less desirable thread

I read in someone's post that they had gone thru their mom's thread & tossed a bunch of iffy ones.

I know there are many different ways of preparing fabric ends when prewashing fabric. I havent done the pinking one, but I have tried the snip the corner off one, it was moderately successful.

I save the junk thread in a specific ziplock bag in my thread bin. I use it on the serger or sewing machine and run a line of stitching down the raw edge prior to prewashing. On the serger, use the best one for the needle. Also, make it a bright or off color to the other two threads, then you just pull it out. I don't like to leave the stitching in as it does distort the fabric a bit. On the sewing machine, use the best in the bobbin if that one pulls out easier for your machine.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

Interesting concept. I just disliked doing all the prep work and then the washing and ironing. Just got into the habit of not washing. But I am happy you found a way to use up that old thread. I still have my Grandmothers thread and she was born in the last 1800s. It is still on the original wooden spools.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:16 PM

Keep your thread on the wooden spools. They are collectors items.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

In my opinion, serving or overcasting the raw edges before washing the fabric is the most effective.
Especially when you are using up iffy thread.

I try to use thread that is lighter colored than the fabric - just in case!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

My washer has a hand cycle so the fabric does not ravel at all. Best feature ever put on a washing machine. Your next new washer look for that feature. I don't save old thread or thread that is almost gone off the spool because I don't want to. I have a box of wooden spools that my grands play with.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

This is a great idea if you like to sew those raw edges. I never thought about doing this and first heard about it on the QB. I have always just used pinking shears on the raw edges and have never had a fraying problem when washing fabric.
peace
Old 09-30-2014, 03:49 PM

I don't use old thread. I used to and thought nothing of it. I however used to have an embroidery franchise. The training for having a franchise was about 6 weeks. 2 in their training center and about a month in the store. The one thing you heard over and over, if you have trouble stitching, check your thread. Do not use old thread. Old thread is the cause of a 1000 different issues. Humidity, heat and all kinds of things cause thread to go bad. Thread can dry rot too. It looks ok on the spool but when you sew, the thread is breaking and stitches are skipping. It isn't the needle, it isn't the machine, it is the thread. Re-threading won't fix it, you have to sometimes bite the bullet and throw away the thread or sit it on a shelf and let it be just pretty but don't sew with it.

I quilt only with embroidery thread, it is way cheaper than Aurifil. I sew usually with new cotton thread unless I'm making a garment and then I will polyester blend. I sew a lot and I don't use a 1000 different colors, I stick to basic neutral colors so it isn't a big expense to me. I will buy all the fabric I can find at a thrift store or garage sale but not the thread.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My washer has a hand cycle so the fabric does not ravel at all. Best feature ever put on a washing machine. Your next new washer look for that feature. I don't save old thread or thread that is almost gone off the spool because I don't want to. I have a box of wooden spools that my grands play with.
I have to agree. I too have a hand wash cycle & it is amazing. I use crappy thread for mending projects. I didn't know the difference when I first started buying thread so I have one jar of non-Aurifil thread. Don't plan to acquire any more so it should last me pretty much as long as I need mending thread.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wow I Like That View Post
Do not use old thread. Old thread is the cause of a 1000 different issues. Humidity, heat and all kinds of things cause thread to go bad. Thread can dry rot too. It looks ok on the spool but when you sew, the thread is breaking and stitches are skipping.
This must mean that the thread we've used in quilts and garments is also going bad?! That's not a very encouraging thought. How old would you say is old?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have a box of wooden spools that my grands play with.
See thread #3.