Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lessons you've learned along the way

1 minute of quilting time is equal to 5 minutes of real time...Time goes by sooo fast when I'm sewing!

Nothing good ever happens at the sewing machine after midnight!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmony
    Nothing good ever happens at the sewing machine after midnight!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it came together quick and easy you better look at again, usually you've put something together WRONG! :shock:

Don't ask how I know this? :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebJ
    If it came together quick and easy you better look at again, usually you've put something together WRONG! :shock:

Don't ask how I know this? :lol:
    LMBO

Pressing with the iron can distort pieces. I found that pressing with a large iron works best for ironing the fabric but for piecework the travel iron dosnt distort the piecework like a heavy iron can. Even when I am very careful the weight of the iron can make a seam uneven. I never realized this until I used my large iron one day after using my travel iron for awhile.
    Squareing up the corners of the quilt with a 12 inch ruler before sewing on the binding keeps seams more even when you stiche in the ditch later.
    Most of all its the lessons from watching quilting shows on the web that have helped the most, especially Eleanor Burns.
    I also use a wooden skewer to hold seams in place while sewing. A whole pkg is only two dollars. Much cheaper than a stilletto.

When husband/significant other asks how much you spent at the quilt shop looking at your pile of great new fabric, just say "oh about that much." They might have a heart attack on you. :-) :-) :-) :-)

One thing I have learned is when placing your blocks (assuming they are random or mixed colours) lay them out and look at them through the weong end of binoculars. It is amazing how "wrong" blocks stand out. Rearrange and try again and perhaps again...........
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Post process pics on this board for feedback...cause DH will always say.."its just fine honey", when in fact..ITS NOT!

Its ALWAYS better to buy more fabric than you think you'll ever need than to try to scrimp.

When you suspect it is going wrong.....it most definetly is...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2