Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's give some Gold Stars to our LQS/Fab. stores! >

Let's give some Gold Stars to our LQS/Fab. stores!

Let's give some Gold Stars to our LQS/Fab. stores!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
Another shop I enjoy is Cotton by Post in Arva, Ontario. They just had a sale on a bunch of materials $1.44CAD per meter and Canadian tire money at par. Canadian tire money is a coupon that you get from the store so for every so much $$ that you spend you get so much back in Canadian tire money to use later. Once a year the store has a Canadian tire money at par week so it's great! they use the CT money for light and shelving for the store so it works out well for them as well.
Finally!!! A good use of Canadian Tire money. I always drop mine in the bin at the store entrance but maybe I'll save it up now and mail it to you.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Here in Kalamazoo we have Quilts Plus, The Bernina Shop and Viking Sewing Center. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. At our place up north in Houghton Lake, Susie's Stitchin is another favorite of mine. Bob at Susie's Stitchin is the guy to take sewing machines of any brand/age for maintenance and repair. He got my old Singer Treadle tuned up and now has a 1950 Singer (Gear Driven) that I picked up last week for $10. Can't wait to get back there to pick her up!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Mine is Kansville Quilting in Council Bluffs, Iowa. They were wonderful when I bought my machine so we went there to buy my sons. They took so much time with my son making sure he was at ease with his machine. They have answers to all my questions. And they always call both of us by name. I feel right at home as soon as I come through the door.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:18 PM

Thanks, OdessaQuilts for the heads up on the Front Porch Quilt Shop in Frankenmuth. I will have to check it out next time I'm up there. I found a little shop in Millington, MI called My Little Quilt Shop where the owner was very friendly and helpful to me last time I was there. I was visiting family and bored so I went in looking for some quilt books to read - must have spent an hour talking to her and ended up buying books, patterns and fqs.

My favorite LQS is The Quilt Box in Dry Ridge, KY. They are always so friendly and helpful when I go in even if I'm not buying much (but honestly, how often am I not buying much?) and they have a barn sale in the spring and fall where the barn is filled with fabric for $4.50 a yard. This year I snagged a couple of Jenny Beyer fabrics at the sale.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

I should point out that I don't care about being greeted. If it's a store that knows me, I am always welcomed.
I do not want hovering staff, just want knowledgeable help when I ask for it

Quilters Workshop in Newport, NH : Gail Peck, Rachael and I can't remember her name - all great ladies
Quilted Threads in Henniker, NH - Becky and all the staff

New England Fabrics Keene, NH - I rarely shop there because they don't carry fabric I like but the staff is good. I bought Jem Golds for my granddaughter and grandson and a Gold and Platinum for myself - good prices, know the machines.

Portsmouth Fabrics in Portsmouth NH - great fabrics, helpful staff

Log Cabin Fabrics, Ravena, NY - Londa VanDerzee's great
Gloversville Sewing Center, Gloversville, NY - Diana Marshall is a gem. I bought my Bernina from Diana at QBL in the late 80s; and I still bring it to their shop for her husband John to service it.

Textile Company Greenville (I think), Mass - vast fabric collection, staff very helpful - they don't take charge cards
Southampton Quilts, also in Mass. Wonderful fabrics, good staff
Cambridge Quilt Shop Cambridge Mass - good fabrics and help

City Quilter, NYC - Amy and Cathy knowledgeable and helpful
Old 07-14-2010, 12:34 PM

I love going to Scrap Apple Quilts here in Saint George, Utah. It is full of yummy fabrics, and lovely happy ladies always eager to help and greet!
Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 PM

The Addicted Quilted and The Quilting BEE in Chesapeake, VA and Sew E-Z in Portsmouth, VA are all great - knowledgeable, friendly staff at each one!
Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 PM

If anyone is in the Atlanta area two of my favorites are:

Sweet Home Quilt Company in Conyers. Melissa and Mike own the shop and are always available. Melli will find you just the right piece of fabric - warm friendly and knowledgable!

A Scarlet Thread in McDonough is wonderful. Ask for Angela the Fabric Diva - she is fabulous.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:57 PM

Whittle's Fabrics in Smith's Grove, Ky is a great shop.They are closed on Sundays and Thursdays, once when in the area with my husband I talked him into stopping so I could get a backing for a quilt. I jumped out of the truck and ran in the door. The owner was cutting fabric for a kit,no one else in the store. I mentioned something about him holding down the fort by himself and he said " Well, we are closed today."
I was so embarassed and tried to leave saying " OH! I thought this was Saturday. My husband's with me and he's never off work on Thursday" but it was Thursday and Mr. Whittle wouldn't hear of me leaving and let me pick out my backing. It was the fastest I have ever picked out fabric which wasn't too hard considering their great selection. I've been back many times and have always found all the staff freindly and helpful. They also have a web store with great service http://www.whittlesfabrics.com
Old 07-14-2010, 01:39 PM

my glad experience was at hancocks on nw expressway in okc, ok. clerks name was april.
i wanted to make a quilt but was deeply stuck trying to select fabric. i asked if any of the clerks quilted and one said she did and asked how she could help. she came with me looking at fabric and made lots of suggestion, staying pleasant and helpful even when i did not like some of the suggestions. i suspect we spent atleast 30 minutes picking fabric. she looked at my pattern and helped me get the right amount of fabrics. that's a good shopping trip.