Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's go inside and get depressed and inspired >

Let's go inside and get depressed and inspired

Let's go inside and get depressed and inspired

Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Default Let's go inside and get depressed and inspired

Yesterday, a bus load of quilters from Long Island went to the Hershey quilt show. Great show, even better quilts. There was something for everyone, from art quilts, modern quilts, traditional, vintage, paper pieced and everything between. I was blown away by talent and creativity. And then, as a sweet cherry on top there was Sharon Schamber quilt exhibit - amazing, inspiring and depressing at the same time. She is an absolute master of the art and craft of quilting with an unbelievable eye for detail. Her quilts always inspire me to break the mold and try to be better than I am. Depressed, well I exaggerated that part a bit, I did not get depressed simply aware that it will be decades, and may be even never, until I can look at one of my quilts with the same awe as I look at hers. Great show!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:04 AM

That's the way I feel at quilt shows or the State Fair too, but I get so many ideas that the depression about my own skills doesn't last very long
Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 AM

I feel that way when I see all your quilts. I think "why can't I be that talented." I watch the quilt shows and have come to the conclusion they demonstrate with paper because everything trims so neat and each seam fits the first the time.. Oh well, I will keep trying for perfection.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 AM

Keep quilting for enjoyment, not perfection. I think perfection breeds depression! When I see something beyond my talents, I admire it and if that perfection desire tries to creep in, I tell myself that I am quilting for me, my release, and someday, slowly but surely, I will get better at what I do. I may not get as good as whoever, but I am going to enjoy the journey!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 PM

There are so many things I cannot do at all, but I still love admiring what others do. Things like ballet and Olympic sports, and piano playing, dressage, violin music, flying an airplane or perfect machine quilting. So I just muddle along with what I can accomplish, sing in the church choir, quilt the best I can, take a lovely walk with a friend. There are lots of excuses for being depressed at what you can't do, just enjoy every little thing you can do!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 PM

My quilts will never measure up to those at the quilt shows. Some days I get depressed when I see all my "mistakes". I quilt for enjoyment, not perfection. I quilt to leave something behind (maybe) (for my great what ever they may be), to be used and saved in tatters, or displayed with honor. I have to do something with my hands, garden, quilt, rug braid, read, computer games, whatever.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:54 PM

While I appreciate the incredible talent that many people have, whether a "professional" or folks here, I try to remember that the quilts I make are for my loved ones and donations for fund raisers. I always try to do my best, and keep in mind that I'm not making them for showing and/or judging. I'm doing it strictly for fun, and am about the least competitive person imaginable.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 PM

LynnVT...I totally agree with your message, When I think what I don't have....I am training myself to change the thought patterns to what I do have...And, it is enough, more than enough for me.
When I quilt, I consider each new project as a work experience where I can learn. At 78, I still have so much to learn.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:26 PM

I couldn't agree with you more about the quilts at the show. I was there on Friday, and stayed in the area until today. Sharon's quilts were amazing. I had the best time shopping at the fabric stores in the area, and the antique stores in Adamstown. I had an awesome trip, and can't wait to go back.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

who did you take the bus trip with, i'm sorry I missed it