Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
let's talk $$$$$ for quilts >

let's talk $$$$$ for quilts

let's talk $$$$$ for quilts

Old 04-12-2009, 04:01 PM

OK...I've been a bit away lately but have been visiting and just finished reading those threads that talk about prices for quilts. You can really make $100 for a baby quilt? Why so much? Of course the fabric choice but would a stitched-in-the-ditch bring in as much as a stippled?

I hope I don't sound as dumb as I feel about asking this but this could help me out financially if it's possible.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:06 PM

If you never ask questions you will never know the answers, so I have to say: There is no need to feel dumb because you may not know everything.
You can get a lot of money for quilts based on what the market will bear. I, too, will be interested in seeing others' responses. My quilts are charity quilts, and I wouldn't know what to charge for a quilt if I ever decided to sell one,
but I know others are on here who do know...
basically, I just jumped in to let you know that you asked a good question, and have no fear .... more experienced minds than mine will help you out <g>
Old 04-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

By the time you figure the fabric and batting and thread and quilting and your time it is amazing what we put into our quilts. I have never sold one, but I love giving them to my family and friends.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:02 PM

I have sold many quilts. Going from $35.00 for a fat quarter of a particular theme, with a border and stippled, to $600 for a queen size with a wolf panel in the center, nine patches around it and quilted with loops. I do all my work by machine. I am quick for my customers and even though I have a full time job and a life, I turn around the quilts very quickly. I do require at least 30 days for a deadline, and unless they require a very small quilt, will not commit to anything before 30 days.

Embridered quilts:
I made two baby quilts requested with embroidery in the center of the blocks, one with Elmo and one with Care Bears. When it comes to embroidery I have the customers pay separate for 50% of the cost chart. Not 100% because after I am done with them I still keep the pattern to use. If the customer wants a unique quilt and request that I don't use the pattern again, then I charge them them 100% of the pattern.
I mostly ge tthem at emblibrary.com.

When I do a craft show I tend to charge a little less, because the quilts are of my choice and the customers just come to buy. If some request a specifec quilt they are aware that there is a price that comes with a one of a kind quilt. I never stitch in the ditch, but if I did I would charge the same. They are buying your expertise and time as well as materials, and you know that good fabrics don't come cheap.

I don't have rule of thumb to charge for my quilts, but will not ask for any less than I would be willing to pay for them. I am not making myself rich with this, but it helps a lot, specially now that DH is laid off and no sign of a job for him any time soon. Maybe if I dedicated more time to it, but I need the benefits of my job and still want to enjoy sewing.

Maria

Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 PM

I think price is area depended. I have not seen a quilt that is hand made either machine or hand stitched for less than $500.00 for a small quilt. Most bigger quilts twin size and up I have seen are $800..00 to wll over a thousand.

This past weekend a GF and I went shop hoping at 3 local stores. Not one of the quilts for sale were under $500.00. We live in a very low income state here. I remember seeing quilts in Miami, FL and PA and they were in the high end of that range years ago.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:42 AM

If I were you, I'd first go see what finished quilts are selling for at any local quilt shops, paying particular attention to the price as it relates to the size of the quilt, the complexity of the pattern, and the quality of workmanship in comparison to what you feel you can do.

Then I would go up to Center Harbor and do the same thing with all the consignment quilts for sale at Keepsake Quilting. If there is a branch of the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen Gift Shop in your area, that would be another place to check prices, though they will surely be much higher than the others.

Those three venues should give you a range of fair prices here in New Hampshire and who wouldn't jump at the chance to spend a day at Keepsake doing "research"?! :wink: .
Old 04-13-2009, 10:51 AM

I have sold many baby quilts and I charge anywhere from $50 - $100 per quilt. I only machine quilt them. (no hand quilting) The $50 quilts are larger block patterns that don't require much time and the backs are often just one large piece of fabric (mostly just flannel). The $100 quilts are generally quilt patterns that are smaller pieced blocks and the backs are sometimes pieced as well.

I get my patterns from "quick quilt" books for the $50 quilts and they may only take a day or two to make.

I have made many pet quilts as well and charge $15 - $25 per quilt for those.

I have sold many of these at craft shows.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 PM

Thank you all so much! I guess I thought there were more quilters than buyers, but you have shown that there are still people who will pay well for a quality handcrafted product.

I definitely will check out that link.

As far as Keepsake Quilting, that's quite a drive from where I am but I do receive their catalog. It's quite inspirational!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I have never tried to sell any of my sewing, just for gifts.
However, there was a time, I thought I might, and since then, have kept a "black book"...no kidding, the first one was black...with all receipts, store, name of fabrics, amounts,...you name it. Also leave room to make notes on page, when I use a piece of a fabric.
With all that, you would think, I could readily tell you, how much money has went into one of my projects...nope...I could do that with gbaby projects...but for some reason, have always been afraid to actually add up the cost of a bed size quilt. Why do I keep cataloguing all that info?
You tell me! :roll:
Old 04-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Banned

I was just looking on ebay at quilts for sale. 98% aren't sold and the ones that are have gone very cheaply. I just found one that had a price tag of $700. Queen size.