Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lets talk lasers & pantpgraphs ! >

Lets talk lasers & pantpgraphs !

Lets talk lasers & pantpgraphs !

Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM

Default Lets talk lasers & pantpgraphs !

I recently purchased a mid arm Pfaff Grand Quilter 1200 on Innova frame from a friend. She didn't use it much so is of little help. I have no clue how most of this works but I am finding my way slowly. To use the pantograph laser light - do I use the handles on machine to move the laser to trace the pattern or do I use the laser pen itself to trace pattern. I have stitch regulator. I have not been very successful GOOGLE-ing how to actually use the machine. Most I have found are on how to LOAD the sandwich. Anybody have any USEFUL links to share...I know this must sound like a silly question but I don't want to create any BAD habits before I even get started... Thanks in advance! BTQ (borntoquilt)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I believe there are youtube videos on following a laser light on a pantograph. I believe the light shines on the panto line as you push/ pull the machine along following the pattern?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

Here's one video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUreWU6yHbw You do move the machine handles, keeping the laser light on the lines on the pantograph. There is another way to do it, which involves having a stylus rather than a laser light, but you still move the machine by moving the handles.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

And you normally work a panto from the back of the frame.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM

With a Gammill you work pantos from the back of the frame, however, I've seen some home versions that have you put the pantos on a shelf that's on top.....don't know the brand, sorry...... Always, trace the pattern with your finger several times before starting to sew, as this gets the design into your brain and the connection of using the lazer and the handle control is more flowing/consistent. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:17 PM

Thanks, everybody, for the links! and taking time to answer my question. My set up is a tray on top of the frame where you tape down the pano...and always work from the front of frame. Old set up I know but the price was right! *wink*wink* As you can probably I have a huge learning curve here..... lol ! Tiggersmom - I'll be in Mesa in either Jan (hopefully for Quilt Show at fairgrounds!) or Feb. you anywhere near there??
Old 10-29-2013, 02:49 PM

I have the exact setup that you have - I have never used a pantograph. I am a self taught quilter and I found it hard to follow the pantographs, they were too limiting to me. So I make up what I think the quilt needs, EX: Flames for a Harley Davidson quilt, cowboy boots, hats, horseshoes and lassos for a quilt made with embroidered horses. They weren't perfect, but they were what I liked. It goes much faster than following a panto. This is the way that is easier for me, I have no intentions of entering any of the quilts that I make in quilt shows, I make them to please me and the recipient. If I can help you in any way, you can send me a message here on the board and I will do my best to help you, if I can. You have a wonderful setup. I love mine!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM

Thanks aronel. I appreciate the offer. I think you are gonna be my new BEST FRIEND. I have sooooo many questions. I did take a beginner long arm freebie class @ local SEW N VAC store last Saturday (where my setup was originally purchased!) Turned out to be a sales pitch to buy the computerized ROBOT setup on (now can't remember name of machine and frame lol !) new set up... I DO have to admit it was fun having the robot do all the quilting, etc but "I" want to quilt....(plus I still think it is cheating to punch a few buttons, hit START and go fix dinner.) It wasn't very expensive (store special $16,000--cough!!) considering GAMMILL, JUKI and other brands are in the $35,000 and up range. I am NOT that serious and do NOT want to quilt professionally. sigh! Wish you lived next door... *grin* bet you're glad you don't !!! *grin* grin*grin*