Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lifespan of a cutting mat? >

Lifespan of a cutting mat?

Lifespan of a cutting mat?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 PM

I've been using my cutting mat for 4 years now. I'd say I'm a pretty average user - lots of use on weekends and over vacation/holiday times (those times when I have a nice chunk of time to quilt my heart out). It seems okay, but then again, sometimes we don't realize how bad things can get (like how dull the rotary blade really is until it's changed or how bad our eyes are until we get new glasses, etc).
Any thoughts on this topic?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

i'm cheap, spend money on fabric, i'll keep turning mine over till it falls apart or gets cut apart. been using rotary mats for over 25 yrs, on my 3rd, still using the same cutter, new blades course. but made about 250 on these mats,
is there an estimated time
Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 PM

I've been using my mat(s) about 25+ years also!!! In fact I just bought a new set (I'm using the double xlg ) and put it on my table yesterday. I have enjoyed looking at it, but haven't been able to bring myself to cut on it yet!! Hope that passes soon.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 PM

I purchased a fantastic mat 30 x 36 about 15 years ago. And I'm still using it. And evry now then I use light scrubber thing and gently soften the worn spots. And then, two days ago, must be my new meds... the light bulb, which is normally rather dim in my head.. went on. And it dawned on me that if I would turned it around once in a while it wouldn't have one woon area on it. Fortunately even all of the use this mat has gotten, I had been getting it fairly clear of repeated rotary cuts over the years so while the lines were getting a little it just dawned on me to turn it around so that the right hand portion of the mat was now on the far left and the new near right side was in perfect condition. And to think, I was allowed two reproductions. A girl and then a boy. Fortunately they both turned out wondefully, but I never had the oppertunity to test my theory because another child was just not what could afforded at that time. Yep! We all have our on wall of making changes for the better by something so mundane as to changin your mao around. I had been told at the time to get the most you could posibly spend and since I was an engineer prior to my illness it was a really dumb things to have to do to get a new clear surface for my quilting, Now I have to find my common sense as I dropped that in the scrap basket.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:36 AM

I've been using the same mat for over 12 years now and haven't turned it over yet! Of course it has a little wear on the end I use the most but I just avoid that area :lol: :lol:
Old 08-28-2010, 03:45 AM

i have had mine for about 6 years..still looking good..i try to cut in different areas of the mat.
i will just flip it over when the time comes...
Old 08-28-2010, 03:51 AM

I truly believe that the original idea items that were manufactured first before every company jumped on the band wagon, are SUPERIOR products. My board is at least 20 years old and it is one of those green thick mats that are very durable. I just looked and couldn't find a brand name!

I cut A LOT on my board and mostly on one end. It has a LOT of life left in it yet. I bought Fiscars gray board for cutting quicky things next to my machine and it has flaked and become very uneven.

I think companies are walking a very fine line between making a product that will wear out (so we have to buy more) and making it durable enough to want us to buy their product again. Fiscars doesn't cut it! LOL
Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
I've been using my cutting mat for 4 years now. I'd say I'm a pretty average user - lots of use on weekends and over vacation/holiday times (those times when I have a nice chunk of time to quilt my heart out). It seems okay, but then again, sometimes we don't realize how bad things can get (like how dull the rotary blade really is until it's changed or how bad our eyes are until we get new glasses, etc).
Any thoughts on this topic?
I have been using mine for 15 years now and it's just fine.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:05 AM

they do dry out, get brittle to the point they will almost snap in half. Lots of cut lines showing and your cutter will skip and you have those little threads that didn't get cut. I have started writting the date on all my new ones. They do wear out, and will dull your rotart blade. Mine are used ALOT so that may explain my take that they do wear out. I wait for 40% off sales or coupons.
Just purchased a Fiskers and LOVE it so far, blade seems to glide over it. Will have to see how it holds up, AND it is reversable with lines:)
Old 08-28-2010, 04:20 AM

Haven't I read somewhere that you can flip them over too - the green Olfa ones? You aren't supposed to use the lines on the mat anyway according to some.