Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: light applique over dark fabric - HELP

I have some navy with stars fabric that I want to applique snowmen on. However the blue shows through. How can I do this without the dark color bleeding through? Any advice much appreciated! I tried doubling the white but it moved on me and I couldnt keep them together correctly even with pins.

Have you tried using a lightweight fusible interfacing to back the white?

fuse the second layer, or just a little dot of washable glue in the right places?

Blog Entries
    What kind of applique are you doing? Fusible, machine with turned-under edges, or hand applique with turned-under edges?

If fusible, I would fuse two pieces of the white together before cutting out the snowman.

If invisible machine applique with turned-under edges, there are a couple of possibilities. If it's freezer paper applique a la Harriet Hargrave, then I would applique the snowman as usual, cut away the backing fabric, and insert another cut-out snowman underneath, spray-basting to keep it in place. Be sure it's a dense enough white piece of fabric (doesn't have to be the same as the snowman).

If machine applique with satin stitch edging, either of the above methods would work.

If doing hand applique, I would cut out the white liner a little smaller than the original snowman and baste the two pieces together before appliqueing.

Edit: Oh! I like the idea of fusing an interfacing to the snowman too.

I saw a product that came in several colors that fused to the back of the material to stop this, but I can't remember what it was called. What if you fused the layers of white together with wonder under. Then it wouldn't shift on you.

Does anyone remember what that applique interfacing stuff was called? I remember we discussed it on the board.

Blog Entries
    I do two layers of the lighter fused together or if you're doing sewn applique you can cut the darker out behind the light after it's all sewn up.

Might be a good idea to attach a photo of the problem so others can see to help

instead of using plain white fabric, did you consider using cotton batting, or there is a type of insulate lining that is sold in the interfacing section of fabric stores, i forget exactly what it is called. i have appliqued snowmen using both, and they turn out very well. also give dimension to the snowmen.

Blog Entries
    I went to my LQS and they had something that I fused to the back of the white and then used my Heat n Bond on top of that and it kept the dark color from coming thru - wish I could tell you the name - but I do remember it was more for sewing - maybe ask at your LQS ?

Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    Have you tried using a lightweight fusible interfacing to back the white?
    this is what i would try

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast