Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Light box >

Light box

Light box

Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I use my glass top coffee table
Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM

I tried one of those, but it didn't give me enough light. My husband built me a frame with handles on it and plexi on the top from Home Depot. We put a flourescent light underneath and it works pretty good. I still wish there was a little more light, but it does the trick.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I was watching the Fons&Porter hint section and this was mentioned. You put one of the tap lights under your clear acrylic table that goes around your sewing machine. You can trace small designs onto fabric using it as a light box. I had heard about putting a tap light into a clear storage bin and tracing on that but this would be so much handier.
Great idea to keep such a small storage items and will not look heavier rather then other boxes. I keep it because over the table I put a lamp and designer watch looks great. I am totally agree with that It looks more handier comparatively other boxes.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:16 AM

That's really a very good information you have shared here. I will like to work like this. Before this i only know about the light boxes is that these are only used in sign making.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 AM

Can you add another light tube? My dh made me one, too, and we put two light tubes underneath, and it's plenty of light.
Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
I tried one of those, but it didn't give me enough light. My husband built me a frame with handles on it and plexi on the top from Home Depot. We put a flourescent light underneath and it works pretty good. I still wish there was a little more light, but it does the trick.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I found a great light box. It's cheap, lightweight, bright LED lights, and no electricity needed. Everyone in my guild has one. It's this: http://www.crayola.com/products/ligh...g-pad-product/ Walmart, Target, most toy stores have them. Walmart is the cheapest here at $9.99. Even at full price of $15 it's a great buy.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:24 AM

I have a glass top coffee table. Why didn't I think of that??? Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:09 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
That's a good idea, if only my acrylic extension was the clear version!!

I pull out the leaf in my dining room table, stick a short lamp underneath and a 16x20 sheet of glass over the gap in the table. This works for me.
I am doing Spring Bouquet BOM with laser cut pieces. I need a 16" light box. This is a perfect idea for me. Thanks!