I also like the halogen bulbs for brightness, the big drawback is they get hot, I mean you can heat up a small room with them! I do have some CFL's in the living room lamps and they are working out ok, they do get brighter after a few minutes. I have had the CFL's in the out door lights for 8 years, they are on every night so I do think they last longer. The LED's are expensive, I bought some at Sam's Club yesterday and plan on replacing my halogens with them. As far as breakage of the CFL's, I'm not concerned, I don't usually drop things. I also think we older ladies have been exposed to a lot more toxic things in our lives, including mercury thermometers we used on our kids. There is probably more toxic smog and junk in our air than ever before, not to mention all the chemicals in our fabrics and clothing we purchase.