Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Light/Dark Log Cabin Pattern?

I love the log cabin quilts that vary light and dark shades so that it ends up looking like diamonds. What is the name of that pattern and where could I find a free one to download? I'm thinking of making a queen size quilt for my husband for our 10 year anniversary and I thought he'd really like this pattern. Thanks!

I found the name of it!

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...t-designs.html

It's called Barn Raising. Now does anyone know where I get get the pattern for the block? Thanks!

There is no specific pattern - it is just how the log cabin blocks are laid out. If you lay out 4 blocks so that the dark corners all meet, you will have a dark diamond shape.

I have the book 101 Log Cabin Blocks and there is a diamond shaped block that is made just the same as the regular block except it starts out with a diamond shape in the center.

Ok, I found the pattern but I still need help:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LogCabinBlock.html

I want my block to be 12" so then how would I figure out what size the strips should be? Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! :)

Christina,

If you look on page 1, the paragraph just above the "CONSTRUCTING THE BLOCK", it tells you the size of the strips that need to be cut. I hope this helps.

Well yes, it says 1 1/2" width but what lengths should they be?

Ok, my engineer husband sat down and figured it out for me. LOL Thanks for your help ladies. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
    Ok, I found the pattern but I still need help:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LogCabinBlock.html

I want my block to be 12" so then how would I figure out what size the strips should be? Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! :)
    the instructions say you will need 5 light and 5 dark 1 1/2 in. strips for each block, and a 2 1/2 in. center, usually red.

Blog Entries
    I cut the strips the width I need but do not pre-cut the length. I sew the log on then trim - always long enough that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    I cut the strips the width I need but do not pre-cut the length. I sew the log on then trim - always long enough that way.
    This is the way I've been doing mine as well. Plus you get the advantage of chain piecing them. For example, lay out your center squares side by side on your light/dark fabric leaving enough room between your center squares to trim. Sew down your strip to the end. Repeat process for each subsequent log.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast