Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Light on top, dark on back

It really sounds as if your bobbin tension is too tight. Did you adjust that, or do you have one of those machines where you're "not supposed to". If so, it can and should be done, and I can tell you how to do it. Just PM me.
    MacThayer

Blog Entries
    Quick suggestion - are u sure the threads ate the same weight? Maybe one is heavier than the other making the tension hard to adjust!

Try playing with the bobbin case. If you loosen the screw slightly, you might have success!! Good luck!
    Lori McC

Blog Entries
    We use sharpies here too to cover up problrms with bobbin threads

Did you think of using invisible thread in the bobbin (make sure you use the right needle for invisible)? Don't know if that works for quilting or if it works in the bobbin but might be worth a try. I have never used invisible thread but I was told you have to have the right kind of needle for invisible (can't remember if it is a metallic needle or not). I'm sure someone here will know, for sure.
    Dance like no one is watching

Can you use invisible thread in the bobbin? I was told not to but there are times when that would be a solution to this problem!

I'm a longarmer and this is just the nature of the beast.Maybe you could use "So Fine" or "Bottom Line"in the bobbin.These are bobbin threds that I have been useing for quite sometime.But dots on the back are virtually impossible to avoid.In a perfect world the threads would meet in the middle of the quilt sandwich and be perfactely[?] balanced.But no matter what the books tell you,that isn't possible.Are you using a domestic machine to quilt this,or do you have a mid arm or longarm machine?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriMcc View Post
    Try playing with the bobbin case. If you loosen the screw slightly, you might have success!! Good luck!
    we have a winner...it is the bobbin race tension...not the actual bobbin tension set by the dial!
    but do make sure you are using the correct needle type as well!

I like my quilting to show up so I would use the white thread and let 'em see the beauty on the navy backing!
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
    I thought I was the only one who used Sharpies for that !! I repaired a tear in a friend's quilt (a lonestar!!) that she had damaged by putting a suitcase onto the bed. The slice was about an inch long in a Forest Green diamond. After slipping the fusible web into the hole and fusing it in place, there were still white threads showing from where it tore. Sharpie to the rescue. And you'd be hardpressed to find it!
    I have sharpies in a rainbow of colors for those minor "Oh no"s LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast