Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Weight sewing machine to sit on bedside table.

Light Weight sewing machine to sit on bedside table.

I have been looking and to many out there. I just need it for pretty much straight stitching. I have 3 other machines but they are to heavy. Any help with light weight, good basics, that doesn't cost an arm and leg. I have dreams that this will enable me to keep sewing in future. Brothers have good rating, singer not so good. Those are the 2 that I have looked at. Hope you can give me some good advice from first hand use. Have a wonderful holiday season.
    My words of wisdom start early and enjoy longer.

I have heard that the Janome Gems are small and lightweight and have heard good things about them. I don't have one but have 2 friends who do. Not sure what the weight on them is.

Blog Entries
    See if you can find a Singer Featherweight - fabulous little machine.
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    I just purchased an old lightweight singer. It only goes forward and backwards. It is great and over inUS easier to find . There is a featherweight that does a zigzag but these can be expensive. Somewhere over there sells and repairs no idea but do a web search.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Old Singer Featherweight...definitely! The new plastic machines are JUNK in comparison!
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Blog Entries
    i got a brother 6000i from walmart and love it. it is very light to move from place to place and it makes nice stitches
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    Janome Jem is excellent.
    Got fabric?

I got a Brother SQ9050 from Wal Mart for traveling, I'm really impressed so far. I don't know how it will stand up over the long haul as I've only had it for a few months. It's only 13 lb.
    "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

Blessings! Ruth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    I have heard that the Janome Gems are small and lightweight and have heard good things about them. I don't have one but have 2 friends who do. Not sure what the weight on them is.
    I own a Janome Gem, got it now for at least 15 yrs. and I'm still very happy with it. Not once did the machine need a repair and I use it a lot.

The machine is not very heavy and wonderful to take with you, wherever you go.
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

Blog Entries
    I believe the Janome Jems run about 12 lbs. Lots of good comments about them from quilters. There are different models of this machine, ranging from those with just a few features and those with a lot of feathers and decorative stitches. Here is a link to just one of them on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Jem-Gol...dp/B000FLH2VE/

A lot of quilters buy these to take to classes because they are very portable (handle on top too).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast