Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lightening Fabric >

Lightening Fabric

Lightening Fabric

Old 12-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Default Lightening Fabric

I ran out of fabric for 2 quilts I am making and ordered on-line. The dye lot is much darker. How can I lighten without destroying the quality of the fabric? I am using this fabric as the sashing and already have half of the sashing completed on both quilts. I will never do this again. I didn't know that fabric shops don't reorder other than basics.
TIA Camille
Old 12-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I don't know of any way to lighten the fabric to an exact shade, and am doubtful that it would then fade at the same rate as the original fabric. However, you could explore other options. Use a totally different sashing through some of the quilt - one that is clearly different and not trying to match up. Or if you're early enough in the sewing, use the darker fabric for the vertical sashing and the lighter one for the horizontal. Or use the darker one on the top left hand corner of the quilt (dividing the quilt diagonally). Maybe use one on top, the other on the bottom, and put something different in the middle to separate them. If you're using cornerstones, maybe mix up using the cornerstone fabric with the sashing. You may be starting with a problem, but perhaps you can finish with a "design decision" that will surprise you with how good it looks.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:45 AM

You might try washing it several times in warm water.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:51 AM

sorry, there is no way to do this. I learned this in my "yout" for knitting. You have to buy enough, for me, that means adding 1/2-1 yard. I'd rather have way too much than an inch too little. you'd be better off doing what Dunster suggested, using a different fabric for the border or such. There is so much fabric manufactured that very little lasts longer than a season. it's just the way it is, now.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Is it a fabric that the backside would be the right colour? If not, can you use both sashings in an attic window effect? Can you use the fabric in blocks of colours for a gradation effect moving from the center of the quilt outward? Good Luck!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Not gonna happen-sorry. I always get half or a full yard "extra"--lots of times it it isn't "extra" (I'm human-I make mistakes!