Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: lighting for new sewing room

i have ceiling fluorescent lites in my sewing room and it is truly the best lite. I do have task light shining on my sewing machine. I do sew in the basement, so the lites are just shop type lights, no covers distorting the light coming from them.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

We have one room large enough for 14' longarm. It has 6 four bulb natural light fluorescent fixtures, each 4' long. I like a lot of light. Just be aware these warm up a room quickly. I use a large floor fan tilted up toward the ceiling to keep the air moving
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    Also, take note of what kind of light bulbs you use. If you are using the new curly Q bulbs buy the daylight ones. Many of the other types make the colors on your fabric appear different than they are. If you shop at Home Depot they have a display that shows you how each of the types of bulbs look. Very interesting to check out. I was trying to pick a paint color for our bedroom & the colors I would choose always looked orange or yellow in our room. Finally figured out it was our light bulbs. Bought the daylight bulbs & finally got the true color. Keep this in mind, too.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Quote Originally Posted by kathyjg View Post
    I have three sets of plug in shop lights in mine, but still use a light on my sewing table. We hooked a 6-plug surge control cord to the wall with screw in cup hooks. This seems to be doing the job. We bought the 36" ones and I think they were only somethinng like, $9.88
    I also purchased shop lights. I have 3 and positioned them over my cutting, ironing and sewing areas. Love them and they are very inexpensive at either Lowe's or Home Depot.

thank you all for your input! I have purchased a 4 foot shop light with 4 bulbs and got the daylight bulbs for it. can't wait lo get the room finished and get my things moved in
    Patricia

Enjoy your new sewing room.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2