Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lighting Over Cutting Table

Blog Entries

Lighting Over Cutting Table

What kind of lighting do you have over your cutting table. I have just the room ceiling light but want to put something else in. Was thinking about track lighting but worried that it will get to warm. I have really low ceilings. I also have a problem with glare on my rulers. Is there anything that will help with that?
    As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Power Poster
    i have a stand up ott light love it!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    i cut at the kitchen counter/peninsula with a 4-bulb fluorescent light. i don't have a problem with glare on the rulers.
    Nancy in western NY

I have a 4 ft fluourescent light. It is hung a bit behind me when I cut; thus no glare.

I have track lighting and have the lights positioned so that don't get any glare.

I have the ceiling light, which has 3 of the new fluorescent bulbs in it. However, my cutting table is in front of a huge picture window, so mostly I have natural light.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have two Ott lights plus another two desk lights and a standing light over my cutting area. I have a 24"x72" cutting board and need all the light I can get. I wish I could afford more Ott lights. Some day!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I have a stand up ott light and since my sewing room is on the top floor in an eave, we put in one of the solar tubes over in the sewing eave, it gives off bright great daylight all in the sewing nook. (kinda like a round skylight but made to increase light). I would recommend them for a dark room, or bathroom with no windows. It was worth every penny!!
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I have a ceiling fixture that has 4 , 4 ft flouresant bulbs, plus a small desk style ott light directly on the cutting table. I really find any shaddows from lights to be so annoying. I thought about track lighting , but they did not provide enough light for my purposes. I wanted brighter than daylight.

When I started quilting we took out the small, dim ceiling light and put in track lighting. It was a disaster - expensive bulbs that were supposed to last a long time kept burning out, and the lighting was very hot. We recently replaced it with a 4' fluorescent fixture, and that has been great. It's cool, the bulbs are close to natural light, and the whole room is brighter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast