Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Batting Alternative?

Lightweight Batting Alternative?

Hello All!

I'm very new to quilting here, so I am sorry if I don't know the correct term for what I am looking for.
    What would you all suggest for me to use for an extremely lightweight quilt? I am contemplating what sort of batting or backing I would use for someone who overheats in the winter using only a bed sheet or light weight blanket at night. Ha. Tall order, I know.

I have read that I could always use a very thin fleece throw as batting. Is this advisable?

I like Quilters Dream Request batting for very thin quilts. I think it is the thinnest batting you can buy.

Blog Entries
    You could either use no batting at all, just quilt a backing onto your top. Or you could use a flannel sheet or some flannel fabric.

Fleece and polytester batts would be very warm, as they do not breathe.

A cotton batt would breathe, so would not provide the same heat factor.

I've used flannelette as a batt ... breathes and provides some warmth, but not a lot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quilter's Dream Request is only recommended for hand quilting. Their Select is a nice weight for a 100% cotton batting. My favorite is Dream Orient, it has bamboo, silk, botanic tensile, and cotton. This is a very snuggly but lightweight batting. www.quiltersdreambatting.com to read more about them.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamflowerlillin View Post
    Hello All!

I'm very new to quilting here, so I am sorry if I don't know the correct term for what I am looking for.
    What would you all suggest for me to use for an extremely lightweight quilt? I am contemplating what sort of batting or backing I would use for someone who overheats in the winter using only a bed sheet or light weight blanket at night. Ha. Tall order, I know.

I have read that I could always use a very thin fleece throw as batting. Is this advisable?
    I'd probably go with wool for somebody like that.

If you want something very lightweight, you don't need to use batting, at all. Just use a top and backing. Many folks do this, for "summer quilts."
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Well, actually, I'd probably assume the quilt will be more for looks than actual usage if the person overheats with just a sheet. So, I'd just go with a thin batting available at the store closest to you. (My husband gets hot and always throws off extra blankets...but likes looking at them on the bed.)

I personally like the feel of an extra layer in the middle as it smooths out the bumps from the seam allowances.

I use Quilters Dream Request (lightweight batting) all the time and don't see why you couldn't use it for machine quilting. I do hand quilt and love it - it is light weight, can't help you w/ the warmth or lack of warmth factor since I've given the quilts away...
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Banned
    I use Quilters Dream Request for most of my machine quilting. In fact I get it by the large roll.
    I also like to have some kind of batting or filler inside the quilt. The thinist I know of is Hobbs Thermore.
    It is soft and drapabale, gives just a bit of loft for your quilting. It is packaged in various sizes.
    I believe anything else (flannel, fleece, etc) will add unwanted weight to the otherwise light weight quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast