Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lightweight Sewing Machine for Quilt Classes >

Lightweight Sewing Machine for Quilt Classes

Lightweight Sewing Machine for Quilt Classes

Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Default Lightweight Sewing Machine for Quilt Classes

I am selling my Viking Emerald 116 because shortly after i bought that machine, I bought a Bernina 440QE with the BSR so I could do stitch regulated quilting. I have not used my Viking machine much since buying the Bernina--except to take to quilt classes). I wanted to give it to my 18 year old daughter but, of course, if it isn't computerized it isn't good enough for a teenager!! I want to buy her a computerized sewing machine for under $500. I would like a lightweight one so I can also use this machine to take to quilt classes. I have seen several computerized sewing machines under $500 but I also get paranoid about buying something that is "too cheap"! Anyone have any suggestions on a pretty good computer sewing machine for under $500. It wouldn't get alot of use because my daughter doesn't have a whole lot of interest in sewing/quilting yet. I am hoping if I get her a computerized machine that is "hers" it will help peak her interest.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:37 PM

I too own a Bernina 440 QE and was using on my quilt outings, until I was told not to take it on trips. With the computer you can easily put it out of whack and will cost a fortune to repair. Then I bought a Janome Gem (Gold I believe)before I discovered how wonderful Featherweights are. The Janome is very light weight and is a wonderful machine. It went everywhere with me for the longest time. You can get them computerized but they are still very simple to get to know. Know I use my Featherweights for all trips and love it. But it's for me and I didn't buy it for someone else to use. Check out the Janome's small machines I was impressed when I took a second look years later.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:11 PM

Babylock audrey, don't have one but they are very lightweight and people love them If I could afford one, I would get one, but I love my brother so I can't complain
Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 PM

I have singer fw75 computerized. Got it for about 230 and retails for almost 400. Best but I,ve ever made. Great workhorse,computerized, and light enough to carry
Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 PM

To hijack the original post just a bit...
Wine woman: wow, I never heard of concerns about traveling with my 440. I haul it all over the place. I do make sure it has time to warm up when I bring it in from the cold, but it is a tough machine. However I have started using my vintage machines for straight stitch classes. I still haul the 440 with me on RV trips that are over a week since it does a lot more tasks easily.

Pam
Old 04-15-2012, 06:56 PM

I have 2 Bernina's and love them to pieces. However, before I got my 450 as a travel machine, my DH got me a Brother CS4000 from Overstocked.com. It does 7mm fancy stitches and really is an nice little machine for the money. Enjoy your 440QE. That was my first Bernina. They are awesome machines!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM

A Brother or Babylock from a reliable dealer.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:10 AM

I love my Janomes......I use the Jem Platinum 720 for travel
Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 AM

There are quite a few Janome machines for under $500, both online and at dealers.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Donna H-M View Post
I love my Janomes......I use the Jem Platinum 720 for travel
One Dealer actually recommended this particular machine to me because it is on sale right now for $499 and she said it is computerized and lightweight. How long have you had yours? Have you had any troubles with it? What did you pay for yours?--is the sale price of $499 a good price? That Dealer is somewhat local and am thinking I should go check it out. She said it's on sale until May.