Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A Lil Twister Question....

OK, I have all my squares sewn and the border attached and I'm ready to cut.

What's the easiest way to cut these using the tool.....rotary cutter, scissors??? It seems "awkward" to try to cut around the tool with my rotary cutter. Is there a trick I just haven't thought of? Do you just slice through borders and all? I'm having a problem cutting the left side of the tool. Does this make any sense??

I haven't done this myself, but I think I would use a small mat, use a rotary cutter, and rotate the mat. Of course, I guess you could put on a small table and you move around the table. Just take is slow and easy and watch that the tool doesn't shift on the fabric as you go.

I actually bought one of those smaller rotary cutters just for this purpose. It's easier to keep the cut close to the twister square with the smaller one than with the regular sized ones. I wish I could tell you sizes - I think my "regular" sized one is the 45mm. I don't really know the size of my small one but it works really well for that.
    Good luck! :)

Blog Entries
    I have never used a twister, but I would think it would work about the same as a reg. square template. use your cutting mat and if the angle is odd then simply turn your mat and the fabric and template will stay in place, just move really slowly :)

Blog Entries
    if you don't trust yourself to cut them, you could just draw around the template and cut them out with scissors when all of them are drawn. I do that with DP's.

it will seem awkward at first - I have my mat on a surface where I can walk around to the other side while I hold on tight to the template to keep it from slipping. Practice a few cuts on scraps & you'll soon have the hang of it.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Good question. I haven't used mine yet either. Thanks for the topic!

Thanks for asking this, I haven't used mine either. The idea of a smaller rotary cutter sounds good, and I do have that coupon . . . time to shop!

A smaller rotary cutter....hhhhmmmm...now why didn't I think of that??!! :) I have one in my sewing room somewhere. I need to go look!! Thanks :) That's why I love this board :) :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Would a 28 work??? I think that's the smallest one I have.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast