Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lint Dust From Thread On My Sewing Machine >

Lint Dust From Thread On My Sewing Machine

Lint Dust From Thread On My Sewing Machine

Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 AM

Do any of you have a problem with lint dust from thread on your sewing machine ? I think this was discussed here a while back, but I had not had a problem then........ now I have. I am sewing with some yellow/gold colored thread I just bought for sewing pot holders, and it is leaving a fine dust on the pressure foot and below. For starters, I don't like the thread (even though it is a commonly used thread) but bought it because the weather was bad, and I didn't want to drive farther to go to the quilt shop. I have never had this happen to this extent, and wondering if any of you have.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 AM

Yes, I have had that problem with colored thread at times. I just keep blowing the dust off when I see it and take the machine apart for a good clean every night . I suggest cleaning the machine good after every project to keep in working good.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

i always have that problem with cotton thread...it seems to be very dusty-linty
i make it a manditory part of sewing to totally clean my machine every time i have to change bobbins so this (stuff) doesn't have a chance to build up and cause problems
Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 AM

I see it quite often on my machine also. I just keep a soft paintbrush with my machine and use it to dust of the top and presser feet. And clean my machine's bobbin area regularly.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 AM
np3
Power Poster

I have the same problem. And I always use a good thread. I don't recall ever having this problem 15 years age. Maybe just the way they make thread now???
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I have the same problem. And I always use a good thread. I don't recall ever having this problem 15 years age. Maybe just the way they make thread now???
You know, you're right! I hadn't thought about it, but it is way more of a problem than it used to be. I clean my machine regularly with a soft small brush. The sewing machine repairman said lint is your machine's greatest enemy.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I have seen a big difference in thread in recent years, and think it is made differently now. Most of it is made in other countries and I'm not sure of quality control outside of the U.S.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 AM

An extra soft bristle toothbrush is good for getting into the smaller parts of a sewing machine,,Thread dust can be a pain
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

If you have inside threading on your machine lint is a big problem. The older machines, all the threading is on the outside and almost double the thread guides to go through then on the newer machines. That makes a big difference in the amount of lint that collects in the machine.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Banned

My sewing machine seller/repairman says that's why he recommends using a poly/cotton thread, and not 100% cotton.