Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lint in My Machine OH MY!!

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    A few days ago I read a post on here about cleaning out our machine. Well today as I was zooming along on a binding for a quilt my DH wants to give to a co-worker whos wife had a baby my machine started acting up. So I tried to do the usual lint cleaning but it still would just not work right. I remembered them saying to take either the back or bottom off, well, mine is on the side. Lordy me.....and then I realized also that I had jammed some of that lint onto that wheel while trying to get it out.......If I had taken a picture I guarantee you it would have been a whole hand full of lint and that is no exageration. I am still trying to get some of it out but can tell a big difference already. I think I am gonna have to go get that canned air to be able to get the rest out. Told DH I probably just saved him about $100...........

It's almost embarrassing to see all that lint, isnt it? Kind of like looking under the refrigerator.

Blog Entries
    It does collect down there LOL I am amazed at how much and how quickly it accumulates :roll:
    Good you thought to check... maybe freeing up $100 for new fabric :wink: :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    glad you cleaned your lint out of your machine

Blog Entries
    PLEASE don't buy canned air - it will only end up blowing some of the dust/fluff into your machine. Try using a vacuum instead. At least you will suck it out rather than blowing it into the works. I bought a small, cheap hand held one specially for this purpose, but you could equally use one of the attachements on a standard size vacuum.

I saw that post too. Thank Goodness! I was having trouble with my feed dogs not staying up. I thought it was a spring or something that needed a trip to the shop. After searching on the internet to find out how to take it all apart-I found so much lint packed under there it looked like felt. I got it all cleaned out and she runs like a champ now! Like having a new machine.

I did that once, it was unbelievable, and now I try to clean it at least once a week if I am doing a lot of sewing.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I finally got every thing back together and it sews SEW good. OMG how could I have gone so long without doing a better cleaning. I will be more dilegent after this.

Take off the plate over the feed dogs. That's the spot. Lint turns into felt, turns into cement if you don't get it out. Really small paint brushes are a godsend in this endeavor.

I heard that putting a straw through a hole in the bottom of a paper cup and then put the vacuum hose in the paper cup works. I tried it and it works well. Really gets all the lint out.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast