Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Linus & used sheets for backing

Blog Entries

Linus & used sheets for backing

I found out that what me and some others thought was a good idea, isn't. Web site says they will only accept quilts made with NEW fabric. Oh well, I guess I'll figure out something to do with them

Glad you said that, the charity I made my quilts for didn't mind the "previously used" sheets as long as they were in very good condition and the quilt had been washed. Thanks for giving this information about Linus

Binky Patrol will accept them...

Diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    I found out that what me and some others thought was a good idea, isn't. Web site says they will only accept quilts made with NEW fabric. Oh well, I guess I'll figure out something to do with them
    Other organizations sometimes accept quilts made with used fabric. Remember though, that any organization which gives to hospitals (children or adult) or specifically to sick kids/adults generally require that all materials be new as recycled materials can contain hidden contaminants that could be a danger to recipients who are sick, have ongoing health issues, or are immune-compressed. Machine washing/drying does not remove all such hazards.

I'm glad you discovered this before finishing the quilts.
    Last edited by qbquilts; 06-12-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo :-)

You are correct. Project Linus only accepts items made with new materials. I know a woman who collects for them, and when she gets items which are made from recycled materials, she donates them to the local animal shelters to be used in cages. (Just a fair warning!)

We've been filming people working on the Project Linus for the community TV program. We'll put it on the web site when it is finished as most of you don't have the stations on which it will be shown.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

It's the same with Downey's Quilts for Kids...the quilts will be going to sick kids in hospital, so must be new materials.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)