Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Liquid starch

I tried our local Joann's and our box store pharmacy, no luck. Do the homemade recipes with Corn Starch mold after awhile?

Since I'm slow about getting my projects done to be washed, I'd hate to use a biodegradable product if it's going to degrade before I get the project done! Some of the recipes caution to dispose of the unused starch after a couple of days.

Blog Entries
    Have you checked grocery stores? I wouldn't expect to find it at JoAnn's or in pharmacies.

The homemade stuff is fine, but only lasts about a week in the frig before it starts getting moldy. Even Sta-Flo, once it is mixed with water, gets moldy eventually. It's really inexpensive, so you just mix up a fresh batch as needed.

"I found several recipes on the internet for "homemade starch" - try Google. Corn starch, borax, and water...."

I seem to remember it also had Vodka with the recipe ... or was that to drink, like making margueritas?

ali

Blog Entries
    I found at local grocery store on bottom shelf.

My Walmart doesn't carry it, but my Albertsons does.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Walmart, not the neighborhood walmart but the Large stores still carry the liguid starch.

I do understand this.. I love that starch. Used it for all my white white blouses when working.

I see it in the special treatment isle.. static free shelf
    Good luck.

Ell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VickyS
    I tried our local Joann's and our box store pharmacy, no luck. Do the homemade recipes with Corn Starch mold after awhile?

Since I'm slow about getting my projects done to be washed, I'd hate to use a biodegradable product if it's going to degrade before I get the project done! Some of the recipes caution to dispose of the unused starch after a couple of days.
    * I haven't made homemade. But, I think the borax keeps the container contents from molding. However, I have waterdampened clothes that I left in the fridge too long & it molded. Back when I was a single sick working mom... I think there's enough bacteria on clean clothes to mold if they are damp.

Plus, if you starch fabric, you can't just store it starched, insects will eat the starch, and damage the fabric. (even if you dont "have" insects, you have insects)...EVERYone has dust mites & the bitty ones... we just cant see them.

Blog Entries
    i got mine at walmart. it's probably on a lower shelf

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmouse

Plus, if you starch fabric, you can't just store it starched, insects will eat the starch, and damage the fabric. (even if you dont "have" insects, you have insects)...EVERYone has dust mites & the bitty ones... we just cant see them.
    From everything I have read, I live in a climate with such low humidity that we do not have the insects that damage fabric.

I found mine at good old Target,next to spray starch.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast