Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Little Brown Bird- Is there any interest out there? >

Little Brown Bird- Is there any interest out there?

Little Brown Bird- Is there any interest out there?

Old 09-11-2014, 09:36 AM

Default Little Brown Bird- Is there any interest out there?

I know this has been asked before but if there are enough of us out there, Patrice might be convinced to start a discussion group just for the Little Brown Bird Quilt by Margaret Docherty. It would be nice to have a group started where we could give tips, ask questions, encourage each other, and display our blocks as we get them done. I think this quilt could take me 3 years to finish but I love it and am determined to finish it if I live that long. I'm 68 so who knows? And, I'm willing to go it alone if there aren't many that will join me.

It's an amazing applique quilt from Docherty's book that is no longer in publication. I see the book from time to time on eBay and they aren't as expensive as they were just a few years back. The DVD with patterns has been available as well on eBay but might also still be available from American Quilter's Society. I haven't checked on that, sorry. Someone here will know about it.

Anyway, I'm one that has started on this..... and I want to invite you to join in if you choose. It's perfectly okay if you don't want to make this.... it's going to be a long journey, at least for me. And, please, if you've done even one block..... let us see. QB is a sharing community and that's what I'd like us to do.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails llb.jpg   llb1.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-11-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: remove copyright images
Old 09-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Okay, I'd like to share my progress so far. I'm at our cabin so I can't add embellishments till I go back home next month. But, I use a plastic bag and draw my placement on it. Then, it's easy for me to place the applique pieces close to accurately.
Attached Thumbnails llb3.jpg  
Old 09-11-2014, 10:14 AM

I am still working on LBB. I've an album (here on this board) of blocks I've completed so far. This has been a particularly difficult year for our family, so I have slowed down from completing 1 block per month (average) to about half that (or less). I completed the corner triangles quite a while back and am currently doing all the side/top/bottom triangles and block 24; I tend to do 2 or more blocks at once if they are very similar to each other.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Hi Weezie, it's so good to hear that you are still working on this.... and I am always amazed at the beautiful work you do. .... love looking at your album. I'm just getting started and I know there are more out there that are working on this. Hopefully, they'll chime in here as well.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:23 AM

I've been working on this quilt with two friends. It's been fun seeing how differently we all approach the same pattern! The encouragement we receive from each other is priceless, so I think an online group would help to keep us all going! Cound me in!
Old 09-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Well, I have the book. I swoon over the pictures in it.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:35 AM

I also want to do this quilt. Have book but haven' started yet. My husband is in a nursing home for rehab and should be out Oct. 4th. Maybe then I can get started. Will have to get my book out and get started reading, so I can get some fabric and know where to start.Hope we can have a group on here. Would be fun and see what every one is doing. Count me in.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:25 AM

Busygranny, I hope your DH is doing way better. I do have a suggestion for you about getting the fabric. I figured that I'd better get all the background fabric at the beginning of this quilt. I don't want to run out and have to buy something that might not match exactly. The book says you need 8 yards of background but I bought 9 1/2 yards to be on the safe side. I hunted for quite a while before I found something that I felt would work really well. I wanted a dark brown background but decided against it.... too limiting for me on fabrics that would show up well. And what would I use for the baskets other than brown?

I'm so glad others are working on this..... would love to hear about your adventures with this one, Debbiequilts and your friends as well.

And, Onebyone..... are you even tempted to join us?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:39 PM

I looked at the book used however, is there a CD that goes with it? I would like to do this too
Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

The book is out-of-print; places like Amazon and eBay may have it. Looks like the CD is still being sold by AQS:
https://shop.americanquilter.com/630...tterns-cd.html

Edit: You don't actually need both. The CD came long after the book, and the book contains all the patterns. I believe with the CD you need to be careful to size up the patterns before printing. Someone recently posted that they printed out the patterns and were chagrined to realize they were 3/4ths size.