Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Little Foot by Lynn Graves >

Little Foot by Lynn Graves

Little Foot by Lynn Graves

Old 04-28-2013, 02:38 PM

The other thing I've done is attach a barrier just in front of my presser foot that I can run the fabric against. For me it is a stack of 1/4 inch tape that I've cut off the roll. Other options I've seen are an old hotel key or a heavy rubber band. Some machines come with a barrier that can be screwed onto the machine.

Cheers, K
Old 04-28-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
I think if you work through the exercises on sewing a scant quarter inch seam, you will be able to sew one accurately regardless of your foot. The more you practice, the less you will find that you need pins. I'm working through the series as well and now I pin only when I'm having a problem matching points and when I'm applying borders.

As to the fabric moving, I learned that once I trained myself to concentrate on a spot in front of the needle, not the actual needle I was better able to sew a straight seam. It also helps to center my body on the needle, not the middle of the machine.

For lighting, I've added several Ott lights that I can bend to better direct the light.

Cheers, K
Thanks K. I guess I didn't say when I use pins. I only use them for keeping seems aligned or points. I am now interested in seeing where I do keep my eyes. I also have the option of lowering my presser foot. Will try this to see if the fab remains straight. Great idea about the lighting. It is very important for my old eyes. Thanks.

I have been using the flat hair clips that I saved from my days as a beautician to hold my binding in place. They work exceptionally well for me.

Yolanda Wood River
Old 04-28-2013, 03:20 PM

I like the flat hair clips for bindings as well. I also found on the last quilt I bound that pressing the binding (from one side to the other on the quilt) helped me to spend less time arguing with it while I was wrapping it around the quilt.

Cheers, K
Old 05-18-2015, 12:46 PM

The easy to read markings in red on the 1/4" Low Shank Little Foot markings on the front and back of the foot are invaluable for setting in the "dreaded" Y-Seams. In sewing hexagons e.g. Grandmother's Flower Garden; trust the foot markings start sewing at red 1/4" front mark and stop at red 1/4" back mark. Use this same method on any inset-seam. Works like a charm every time.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
The other thing I've done is attach a barrier just in front of my presser foot that I can run the fabric against. For me it is a stack of 1/4 inch tape that I've cut off the roll. Other options I've seen are an old hotel key or a heavy rubber band. Some machines come with a barrier that can be screwed onto the machine.

Cheers, K
I use several sheets' thickness of a tiny PostIt pad. When I taught a beginner's sewing class, I used this technique to help students guide fabric through the presser foot and keep a consistent 5/8" seam.

And about the pins: I place the pins perpendicular to the cut edge but with the pintip pointing towards the edge. When I approach the barrior, I slide the pin to the left so the tip will not hit the barrior and then remove the pin just before the needle approaches it. Does that make sense?

Last edited by GailG; 05-18-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:53 PM

I used those books and they were fabulous! Even though I had already been quilting, they taught me how to do some things 'properly' and improve on other things.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:05 AM

I noticed when I watched a sewing with nancy episode that her machine ....a BL....has the clear plastic 1/4" foot...instead of the one that " comes" with that machine...so I contacted and was told she uses the little foot. I ordered one for my BL....I hate the one with the machine...on the left side it starts out narrow then angles out wide as it approaches the shank and more than two thicknesses of fabric will get caught...it does not " float" over the fab....the little foot does not have that design flaw and the fabric just keeps moving......for me worth the little investment....