Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Little Genie Bobbie Washer Question >

Little Genie Bobbie Washer Question

Little Genie Bobbie Washer Question

Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 AM

Default Little Genie Bobbie Washer Question

What are these little washers supposed to do? I can't figure out what the advantage is. I know someone on here will be able to enlighten me. Thanks in advance for all your knowledge. Vonda
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM

I use them to keep the bobbins from jumping in the case especially when I am using the embroidery option. It supposedly makes everything work smoother. I think that it does.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I use them. I can tell when the Genie is not in the bobbin. You have to take the spring out of the metal bobbin case but that's easy and easy to put back in. They are easy to drop and never find. LOL
Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 AM

I use them in my longarm bobbin cases to prevent backlash. When the bobbin is rotating at a high rate of speed, and then you slow down to change direction, sometimes the bobbin keeps spinning and spits out a wad of thread (like my technical terminology?? ) The genies help prevent that. I put a tiny drop of oil in the bobbin case, then insert the genie & the bobbin. It really makes a difference!

Andi
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM

I'll have to try that, I didn't find they made any difference at all. Is there a right and wrong side? Which side goes face down?

Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
I use them in my longarm bobbin cases to prevent backlash. When the bobbin is rotating at a high rate of speed, and then you slow down to change direction, sometimes the bobbin keeps spinning and spits out a wad of thread (like my technical terminology?? ) The genies help prevent that. I put a tiny drop of oil in the bobbin case, then insert the genie & the bobbin. It really makes a difference!

Andi
Old 03-06-2013, 10:43 AM

No right or wrong side as far as I can tell. But I found they didn't work without the tiny drop of oil.

Andi
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 PM

I use the genies too. I think they cut down on thread breaking and even out the tension on the bobbin stitching so the bottom looks as good as the top.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM

Are they mainly for the LA's or for the DSM, too? Vonda
Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AndiR View Post

Andi
Well that makes a load of sense. Are they only used in the front-load bobbins or top-load as well?

You may find this humorous. When I first read the term "bobbin washer" I wondered what people were doing with their bobbins to get them so dirty that they needed to be washed.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Tip of the day! If you want to make your own you can. With a applique pressing sheet, or parchment paper. I've used both and they work. I had an old pressing sheet that had a hole in it, so I used it for making the bobbin genie, works like a charm, before that I was using the Sharon Schamber method of parchment paper and mineral oil. Theres a Rene Haddalin video on you tube about using parchment paper method.