Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Little House Quilt >

Little House Quilt

Little House Quilt

Old 11-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

No School, It's a Snow Day by Trudy Kutter.
I saved this picture from somewhere....if it was a member here, I love it and want to make a similar one someday. I was captivated by the alternate blocks fabric and have searched www.quiltshops.com for it to no avail. Anybody know a source? I think that fabric just makes the quilt!

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails no-school-its-snow-day-trudy-kutter.jpg  
Old 11-16-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
I have been looking for house blocks since I read this here, here is a link to postings about house blocks.
http://www.quiltingaroundtheworld.co...om-Scraps.aspx
This is a very interesting thread.
This link has the paper piecing patterns everyone is looking for! Not just the three-inch houses but also four, five, and six-inch houses. Also EQ downloads.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

It is a Dutch blog

http://buildinghousesfromscraps.blogspot.com/
Old 11-16-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I saved this picture from somewhere....if it was a member here, I love it and want to make a similar one someday. I was captivated by the alternate blocks fabric and have searched www.quiltshops.com for it to no avail. Anybody know a source? I think that fabric just makes the quilt!
Jan in VA
Jan, I agree with you!. If you locate a source I wouldn't mind a PM. But I bet it is no longer being made.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

Jan in VA

It's a kit and it's flannel. https://www.thequiltbear.com/store-detail.php?ID=680

I found it using google images.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:40 PM

Rhondals, please do post what you came up with. The ones I see look like they'd take longer than 5 mins!! i wonder if paper-piecing would be the easiest method? thoughts?
Old 11-16-2014, 03:54 PM

What a fun project!
Old 11-16-2014, 07:41 PM

Just trying to get an understanding of paper piecing, found this pattern for a 12 inch school house block, sharing for you all to see. A wonderful tutorial goes along with it.

http://www.whimsandfancies.com/schoolhouse/
Old 11-16-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne57 View Post
If you are still looking for a little house stamp:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/2100945..._home_active_2
These are the stamps for the houses I mentioned in a previous post.
I saw that set. It's the one she used for the little house quilt with all those houses. I guess I understand about platforming the rubber. That's on my list to get. I think I would use it more than an Accuquilt.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:06 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]499157[/ATTACH]5 minute house Pattern:

Two 5 inch charm squares, one light, one dark, (Make yr own, it's cheaper.) and one one inch by about 2 1/2 inch or so piece of scrap.
6 inch white square for background

Use a 6 inch Omnigrid. Measure half the 5 inch square and use a rotary cutter. Cut that thing in half. Save the upper half.
Use a scrap about 1 1/2 inch, or 2. Cut the bottom house piece in 3, save the middle one for another doorway.
Sew the corresponding piece (door) to the 2 bottom pieces, putting the door in the middle. I think my doors are about 1 1/2 inches. Sew the top piece and bottom piece right sides together. A quarter inch seam allowance will make it smaller than the roof. Don't worry about that.

Fold the 2nd charm into a triangle, diagonally. Then do it again. Spit fold to make a mark on both folds. Cut them 4 ways, this makes 4 roofs. I use one for a template for all my roofs now.

Sew the roof onto the house. Right sides together but you already know this. Make a bunch of houses then do the next thing: (if the squares end up uneven, trim them to even them up.) Don't worry about the roof, or you can even up the diagonal part.

Spray basting spray on the wrong side of the house, cause you'll go through too much double sided fusible interfacing. Put the house, on a 6 inch piece of white. Use your embroidery skills to blanket stitch around the house, or cheat and use your sewing machine to blanket stitch around the house.

Make one a day and eventually you're going to have a big quilt to deal with.

That's the 5 minute house pattern. I made one yesterday, one today.

Literally takes under 10 minutes and is cheaper than buying anything extra. My first house was the one from the charm piece. My second I messed up the 5 inch square. doesn't matter, I'll still use it. It's from the quilt top I am almost finished with. I think I started something.
Attached Thumbnails 20141116_220228.jpg  

Last edited by Rhondals; 11-16-2014 at 08:13 PM.