Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Live Your Passion! 2/28/11 >

Live Your Passion! 2/28/11

Live Your Passion! 2/28/11

Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 AM

2/28/11

"Failing To Plan Is Planning To Fail"

-Alan Lakein

What kind of inspiration is this you might ask? Well, stick with me a moment...

I have been reading an excellent book "Craft, Inc. Turn Your Creative Hobby Into A Business" by Meg Mateo Ilasco. ( ISBN # 978-0-8118-5836-6). I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who believes they are "ready to take the plunge" from moving their hobby into a business.

The author will force you to consider ideas that perhaps never crossed your mind as you sat at your little craft table whipping out pincushions or quilted potholders for your church bazaar.

Most of us began sewing and crafting at our kitchen table or in our little space we created for ourselves in our spare bedroom. We started gathering supplies, tools, books and software as our interest grew. Next, came the holiday gifts to family and friends. When the compliments poured in, our creative confidence grew and the next thing we knew, we had a real "craft room" dedicated to our hobby-or in my case, hobbies. Now, probably some years later most of us have sold some items here there and perhaps you are like me. This hobby of yours started to "take off" and you had people calling you for orders. Then, you didn't. But, you kept on with it and eventually people realized this was more than a hobby for you and began to take your craft seriously. And now that the kids are gone and you have the time, are you also wondering "Could I do this full-time-and make some real money?"

That's where "Craft, Inc." comes in. Here is one of the passages that made me stop and think " Creative folks tend to run themselves ragged dipping their hands into every pot and acting on every whim the instant it pops into their heads. Their enthusiasm for starting new projects usually far outstrips their time and budget to do them." Sound like anyone familiar to you?

You will feel like you are sitting down having coffee with your best friend-you know, the one who will tell you that yes, you DO LOOK FAT in that dress...she will lead you through business plan development, creative space issues, who to bring in and keep out of your "big idea" and there's even a quiz for you to decide if this is the right time for you to even start something on your own.

I came across a workbook at a large bookstore before I bought this, with the same title. I don't know if it goes with the book, came before the book or after it. I bought mine brand new at Half Price Books. It was funny, but I had just decided 30 minutes earlier at another store that it would be a great book to buy, but I was tight on cash. I put it back on the shelf and walked away. Then, who knew? There it was! I suppose it can be found cheaper online somewhere, but I kind of took this as a "sign". So, good luck. You won't be disappointed!

* Yes, you could check it out from your library I suppose. I would highly recommend having your own copy. I have highlighted mine so I can return to the sections I need again and again!

Live Your Passion!

Rhonda
Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 AM

I'd say a few with too big a stash also need to read it. Things do tend to get away from us.
Great thread.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 AM

As I am planning to retire on Oct 1st, so many of my friends and family suggested me that I make quilts to sell rather than give them all away. I have thought about it, but there is a small fear inside me that once I do it for profit, I won't love it anymore!?? Should I decide to pursue a business, I will certainly check out that book. Thanks for the tip.