Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Loading Handi Quilter >

Loading Handi Quilter

Loading Handi Quilter

Old 11-22-2010, 07:17 PM

I'm like a proud mama who can't change diapers. Got my LAQ yesterday, HQ 18 Avante with 10' Studio frame. I can operate it OK, I guess, but there was no instructional video. Too much information for the grey matter to absorb from the dealer - and I now I can't seem to get the right configuration on the bars. Anyone with a studio frame able to give me some advise?
Thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 07:24 PM

have you tried YouTube?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

http://www.handiquilter.com/videos_tips-tricks/

Check out these videos. You may be able to find your answers. They are pretty good.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:07 AM

Thanks, I had been on their site, but there are so many segments, I just hadn't found that one yet. Why don't these folks provide a video with their set-up? Even an inexpensive sewing machine from Wal*Mart has a CD with it. Not everyone has internet. I have Comcast, and have frequent connectivity problems. I suppose the folks without internet don't spend as much time on a board such as this, and use their public library, or the school of Hard Knox. :-)
Old 11-23-2010, 02:38 AM
Power Poster

when i purchased my HQ it did come with a pretty good video. if you did not get one i would be calling Utah and asking them to send it. it will help with lots of trouble shooting.
but as for loading, backing first...facing down, top next facing up...batting floats in between.
customer service and tech support at handi-quilter are very good!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 AM

TY, The order is no problem, it was which roller for which. By # 3 or 4 I may have it. For now, I need to attach little notes to the leaders with which part of the quilt and in which direction to roll.

I just put a backing, batting and whole cloth down for practice. I figure after I get through playing, I can cut it up for place mats, pillows, vest, handbags, etc. I hate to use my quilts for practice.

How long, on the average, would you say it takes to learn how to control the beast?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I am surprised that you didn't receive the video. I think that was a boo boo on someone's part. When I received my machine, the video was still in produciton. As soon as it was complete, handi-quilter mailed it to me. I think if you call them, they will send it.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 AM

Well, I've done most things a normal operator needs to do, change bobbins, needles, re-thread, dust. I have a roller problem. I made a mark where the machine seems to hang It'll do that in 4 places every time I make a pass. Same place each time. I've already got an appointment with the dealer . . . but not until next Saturday. Meanwhile, I have time off, a stack of tops, batting and backing, and a wonkey LAQ. No laughing matter here. Think I'll go clean the basement for a while.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

If you are interested, there is one active Yahoo Group (HQ16Chatters) where you might be able to find help. My dealer set mine up and did practice runs before he left, so I don't really know what to try.