Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: log cabin question how to

cjr
    I know many of you make log cabin quilts, as I've seen many posted here. How do you do your log cabin quilts? I am incooperating log cabins in a quilt I'm working on. I did a test block by cutting logs from a long strip after sewing. My instructor says all should be precut or will curl. My test did not curl. How do you do them and why?

Blog Entries
    If you precut all of your pieces, theoretically they will all go together into a perfectly square, correct sized block.

However, I am not one to always "go by the book" and I tend to piece the way you are.
    I would take the time to measure and square up as you go, and you should be fine.

You mean we are supposed to follow directions? Ut oh, I guess I'm in trouble because I don't cut all my pieces first.

i cut strips as i do each block. learned the hard way when precut and 1/2 of them were cut too short and well you know...

Quote Originally Posted by cjr
    I know many of you make log cabin quilts, as I've seen many posted here. How do you do your log cabin quilts? I am incooperating log cabins in a quilt I'm working on. I did a test block by cutting logs from a long strip after sewing. My instructor says all should be precut or will curl. My test did not curl. How do you do them and why?
    I ese Eleanor Burns' method for piecing log cabin blocks....she does not precut, and neither do I. I have never had a block curl.........but I have, before I began using HER method, had logs precut and they were too short....ugh....her method is great, as you true up as you piece, so you wind up with perfect blocks........

I have Marti Michelles Log Cabin ruler... haven't made one yet, but it gives you lines for how wide to cut the fabric and then the lengths to cut the strips so they all go together correctly... I'm going to have to dig that out and try one one of these days. I have her kaleidoscope rulers also, and need to use them as well... I love gadgets... just don't have the time to use them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorebird
    Quote Originally Posted by cjr
    I ese Eleanor Burns' method for piecing log cabin blocks....she does not precut, and neither do I. I have never had a block curl.........but I have, before I began using HER method, had logs precut and they were too short....ugh....her method is great, as you true up as you piece, so you wind up with perfect blocks........
    Don't forget to toss the scraps over your shoulder!

I, too, cut as I go. I shudder to think of too-short precut logs. It is MUCH easier to trim from a strip, and I've never had curly cabins. :D

np3
    Blog Entries
    I agree, I cut as I go.

Blog Entries
    Your Instructor probably told you that because some people stretch the logs and then they will curl. I cut as I go also, just be sure not to stretch your fabric.

Just so all you "cut as I go" people, the QUILT POLICE are at your door. ha ha. I think what ever works.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast