Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Log Cabin Questions

I am making a log cabin quilt and have two questions for you quilters more experienced than I am. 1. I think I goofed in not squaring the blocks up as I was sewing them--so what is the best way to square them now? They are all pieced but not sewn together yet. 2. I would like to hand quilt this when done. Any suggestions on a quilting pattern? Thank you for your help!

Blog Entries
    you can still square them up ... but you might lose some of the straight line of the last round. many log cabins are just stitched in the ditch

The most important thing to do is to square everything up as best you can. It's not too late.

Sorry but I can't help you vis a vis quilting patterns.

You can still square them up.

Square them up now. You really can't tell if the outside logs are a little off after it's done.

If you're going to hand quilt I'd do a line down the center of each log before I would do any in the ditch quilting. In the ditch quilting is a machine technique invented to hide machine quilting. You could do Baptist fans or clamshells for an all over design.

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was told that log cabin tops were EASY to make! LOL....what I found was that you have to pay strict attention to CUTTING AND SEWING...I've made one and I love it but easy? NOT!!!
    Like the others said...square them up best you can before trying to sew them together and chock it up to learning experience! I'm sure it will be beautiful and prized by whoever is fortunate enough to receive it! :)

I think log cabin IS easy. It's just sewing strips together. With any planned pattern you have to cut and sew correctly or the block will be wonky. The only times that doesn't matter is for crazy quilts or crumb/string quilts.

difficult or easy i think is (incorrect) when it comes to logcabins blocks- they are not difficult- but can be quite---tedious---it does become easy to have your strips become wonky-
    it is still considered an easy beginner pattern- some people square up with every additional strip- some people square up when the blocks are completed- some people put together the top without ever trimming their blocks.
    there is no (right way/wrong way) only different ways.
    do what you feel will give you the outcome you are seeking.

I think I could get away without squaring but really want this one to be as good as it can be because it's a wedding gift for my daughter and her future husband. I will try squaring it now and hope for the best. Thanks to all of you who replied.

Can you pin them to square by the "mist and block" method ? ....

I think you can find a website for this .... try Googling
    Squaring up Quilt Blocks or something to that effect.

Or try the search function on this quilting board ....