Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
log cabin quilt >

log cabin quilt

log cabin quilt

Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Question log cabin quilt

I need help how to quilt a log cabin quilt in rows and furrows. I want to quilt it on my domestic machine and it is a bed size quilt any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Do you mean it will be zigzag quilting?

What some of us do is split up the quilt batting when layering. Depending on your quilting pattern, you can split the batting into 3 pieces vertically, horizontally, or diagonally. I gave detailled instructions on how to do this in an older post. If you do a search on the QB, you may be able to locate that post and other threads on this technique. It does require a little bit of thought and effort to do it correctly. For example, it's important to use a permanent pen to label the batting pieces and also to create registration marks along the cut lines. Basically what you do is layer and quilt the middle section first. (Eliminating 2/3rds of the batting for this step means the quilt fits much more easily under the arm of a domestic machine.) Leave about 6 inches unquilted along each side. Once the middle is quilted, attach one of the other pieces of batting to the middle piece of batting, layer, and quilt that section. Once finished there is no indication that the batting was ever split.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Good idea to split the batting, for me, diagonally seemed to work better but was a little bit more difficult to manage.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I quilted several big log cabin quilts in sections. Several different methods are explained in Marti Michell's Machine Quilting in Sections book. I didn't do the split batting method, because I didn't want the weight of the whole top, and a log cabin top can be quite heavy if you use 1" finished logs. However other people like that method.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 PM

I guess I worded it wrong I do not have any ideas on what pattern or design to use for the quilting. What I usually do to make it manageable is to leave off the borders and after quilting the main part of the quilt sew the borders on.