Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin Strips >

Log Cabin Strips

Log Cabin Strips

Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 AM

Default Log Cabin Strips

Is there a common width for log cabin strips, or can any size strip be used? Do you cut one long strip and then trim after it is sewn to the square?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

well lots of log cabin patterns have different widths of strips. depends on the pattern. so yes, any size can be used and you can make up your own log cabins.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:51 AM

Personally, I like logs that are 1-1.5" finished. I don't like them much wider or much narrower than that, but that's just my preference. I also like them all the same width, although varying the width within the block can do some interesting things to the block. Like this, as shown by the very talented QB member Barnbum:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...o-t137116.html
Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

I've got a couple quilts in the works and my finished strips are 1 1/2". one is a sampler baby boy quilt and the other for my oldest son.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

For a traditional log cabin I make the strips 1" finished, and I cut them to length before sewing them together. For an offset log cabin, I use strips that are 1" finished on one side and .5" finished on the other. But... I have seen beautiful log cabin quilts with strips that are much, much wider.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:25 AM

I have not made a log cabin but I helped my daughter to make one when she was ten. I like the look of the narrower strips better. She used the the method where you cut your first piece (for the center) and then sew it onto a long strip for the second piece and then cut the second piece to length. When she was all finished some of the blocks were as much as 1/2 to 3/4 inch bigger than the others.

So based on that experience I would recommend the following:
1. Measure each block as you finish to ensure that it is the correct size.
2. Double check the seam allowance as you sew (this plays into Step 1.)
3. I would probably cut the strips to the needed log length.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

When I made a scrappy log cabin I used different size strips. Just make sure the same size is used in all the same rounds. Important to even up each round as you go. I have made log cabin blocks that give a measure for each length of rounds.
The scrappy I cut length to fit.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Personally I like the look of narrow strips... I use a 1 1/2 inch cut , the colors just seem to melt into each other. It is faster to use the wider strip cut. If you want a curved look to your piece... use a wider strip on one side and a narrow on either the dark or the light side. You get a nice appearance of a curve if there is 1/2 inch difference in the width cut from the dark to the light. So when I make a "curved" log cabin I cut the dark 1.5 inches and the light 1 inch.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

the width of the strips are a personal choice- I just finished a top with 2" wide logs (1 1/2" finished) and it is pretty wonderful! I do cut my logs the length I need them to be- I've tried a few times to leave them long & cut them off as I went- I did not have great success with that method. my blocks were more consistent when I measured, cut then attached each log as I went- I did work on all 30 blocks at once- so I would add a log to each block, press, measure for the4 next log, cut 30 of them- go back to the sewing machine- it worked well & went faster for me than some other times I've made them.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

I do as lakekids. I'm a pretty controlled log cabin maker in regards to size as you can see in my avatar quilt, but I had some odd width strips and made these free wheeling courthouse steps.[ATTACH=CONFIG]449880[/ATTACH] Nice for me to get out of my box now and again.

In a "normal" log cabin varying the size of beginning square can change the look of the block as well.
Attached Thumbnails 011.jpg