Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm, mid arm comparison >

Long arm, mid arm comparison

Long arm, mid arm comparison

Old 01-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Did you check if there were any reviews online?

I have a GrandQuilter which has a 9" throat and DEFINITELY go for one that is a.) larger and b.) has a built-in stitch regulator.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by Candace

Anyone know someone in the Quilters mag. industry that could pass on this idea for an article? Somewhat like a consumers report for quilters;>
Since the magazines rely on the longarm manufacturers for part of their ad revenue, they're unlikely to publish a comparison. Furthermore, some people find a particular fault with a machine (such as throat is too small) while other people have that machine and love it. Either they don't need a particular feature, or they find a good workaround. Look at the machines, test-drive them, make a list of the features you want, compare prices and service... There's a lot of homework involved. It's even more complicated in that some expensive add-ons may be almost necessary with one machine, but not with another because of its design.
I agree with the not wanting to lose your advertising revenue. It's hard to test drive them when none of the models are available locally. And quilt shows, well like I said above...
Old 01-14-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Did you check if there were any reviews online?

I have a GrandQuilter which has a 9" throat and DEFINITELY go for one that is a.) larger and b.) has a built-in stitch regulator.

Well, yeah. All I've been doing is web research. It's just a nightware to wade through all the models, what computerized systems work with what machine and which tables work with what machines. MadQuilter since you live somewhat in my neck of the woods, where did you test drive your machine?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:36 PM

Thanks a lot Pegg!! I will PM you. This would be extremely helpful to me. And no rush. I hope all goes well and I really appreciate your offer considering what you have going on in your life right now.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:50 PM

I am in exactly the same position as Candace right now. So, I will be anxious to read all the posts, too.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
MadQuilter since you live somewhat in my neck of the woods, where did you test drive your machine?
I test drove at Meissner's. This one was at the Manzanita Store and it was the only unit they had. They usually have a pretty good selection at the main store. What I don't like is the way they make it sound like you get a "good deal" when they quote you MSRP (like I was born yesterday). When I decided to go with the Grandquilter, they would not come down in price and I ended up getting it from Kathy's in Chico - because they would.

I would suggest calling around to see who even sells the brands you have in mind and then see who would give you the best deal.

If you are not opposed to getting one second hand, there are some people in a variety of yahoo groups and even some on the QB who are selling used units.

Have fun.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 PM

If cost is not a factor, going bigger seems better. However, I found a great mid-arm on Ebay for a fraction of the cost of a long-arm. I figure I will eventually go bigger, but I am thrilled to have the one I have. I can quilt one up to 104", but am limited in how much area I can quilt at a time because of the 9" opening. I just did not have more than $2000.00 to spend. I ended up with a New Joy frame. I figure this is like getting a bike with training wheels. Someday I will move up to a mountain bike, but right now, this is a good fit for me.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 PM

MadQuilter, I got my Janome 9000 years ago from Meisner's and took quite a few classes there. I've never been to the Manzanita store. They used to have a small store here in Elk Grove, but they closed. I do need to get there since my sewing machine needs servicing. It's starting to make squeaking noises:< I'll check which brands they carry. Thanks.

I'm not opposed to buying a gently used machine, but I really don't want one that was used professionally. I've seen plenty of second hand ones for sale, but until I can narrow down the brand and which is best for me, I'm holding off. I also want to make sure that whatever long arm I get is able to be upgraded to some sort of computerized system so that if I decide to go that route, I'll be able.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM

I to wish I could compare them all - I am very interested in what everyone has to say, both good and bad. I have a Grand Quilter -I wish the throat space was bigger. I love the machine though and haven't had any problems with it.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 PM

Thank you so much for the information on "which magazine".
I will get it at the library tomorrow. I "test drove" a HQ Avanti 18 yesterday. MY oh MY what a wonderful day! At 11000$ its only a dream for now. Quiltingmom86