Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? For Long Arm owners re: needles >

? For Long Arm owners re: needles

? For Long Arm owners re: needles

Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Default ? For Long Arm owners re: needles

Do you use a size 18 needle most of the time or do you have a preferred size depending on the fabric? Do you use a size 16 and if so on what type fabric? I'm getting ready to do my first batik and I'm concerned because my machine co-owner is doing a batik now and is having problems with the quality of the stitches on some of the fabrics (she's using a size 18 needle).
Also how often do you change your needle ?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:45 AM

I use a mid arm.......I use smallest needle and every quilt gets a new needle. Note...most of my quilts are lap size.

i use Schmitz.....
Old 11-14-2013, 04:46 AM

I use 18 needles...batiks are tricky cause of the high thread count. I was told to use ball points. They have worked for me.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:03 AM

I have not yet longarmed an all batik quilt, but I think I would use the smallest needle which will give quality stitches, because I understand any holes which remain from frogging do not come out. Be very careful to completely avoid or minimize ripping out if at all possible. Regarding your second question, I put in a new needle with every large quilt (or after the equivalent in small quilts). If you wait too long to change your needle, the tip becomes dull, and you will end up with batting bearding through to the back of the quilt. It's very time consuming to poke all that batting back through the holes. (Voice of experience here.) Lesson learned. Never again.

Last edited by JustAbitCrazy; 11-14-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 AM

I use a size 16 unless it is denim,home dec or batiks then I use an 18.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Your THREAD determines what needle size to use NOT your fabric. This is the case for LA and DSM. That said you may wish to choose a thread you can use a smaller size needle with for a Batik quilt top. I only use a size 18 when using King Tut thread. When using Glide thread I can use a size 14 needle. I also use a 14 when quilting with silk, Invisifil, and Bottom line (which I have used as a top thread). I use a size 16 when using Isacord, So Fine and most other 50 wt threads (Glide being the exception). When I quilted my Batik Block swap quilt, I used invisfil thread and a size 14 needle. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t221823.html

I change needles with every bed size quilt unless I have done a panto, then I do two quilts. I may do several smaller items before changing. I keep a log on a bulletin board in my quilting room notating date I put the needle in, size of it and what I am working on to help me keep track.

Here are several good articles on needles by Dr. Bob at Superior threads
http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...hread-to-shred
http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...-needle-codes/
http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...rt-mr-needles/
Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 AM

I change my needle with every quilt. I use a size 18 with Permacore thread and a size 16 with Glide thread. These are the only 2 threads I use, therefore the only 2 sizes of needles I use. Recently when doing a batik quilt (all batiks front & back), I had to change the needle halfway through because it started shredding the Permacore thread. Needles are such a small expense as compared to everything else to do with quilting that I don't mind changing them often. I have a Gammill.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I use size 18 the most but keep other sizes on hand to use when needed. As feline fanatic explained size needed is determined by the thread and Superior Thread has great info on ther site.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

I usually longarm with a lighter weight thread and use a size 16. (I've also occasionally used a size 14.) I know I "should" change my needle more often, but I don't seem to have any problems using them for a pretty long time.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM

Size 16 or 18 topstitch needle, King Tut thread, and with batiks, I find sometimes it helps to spritz the quilt with silicone spray.

Holes left by such a large needle always disappear with washing.