Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm quilter disaster >

Long arm quilter disaster

Long arm quilter disaster

Old 08-23-2011, 03:06 PM

I'd be afraid to let her take all the stitches out, if her quilting was bad there's no telling how she'd do picking them out
Old 08-23-2011, 03:07 PM

If she refuses to refund your money, please report her to BBG. I hear to many stories of these ripoffs. Hard to beleive a quilter would do this. If they can't quilt, get out ofthe business.But it should be confronted.

Originally Posted by Love2Quilt
A friend of mine sent a beautiful baby quilt to the long arm quilter to have it done. This quilt is for her soon to be grandchild. Upon receipt of the quilt, the quilt is so badly quilted that it she cant give it to the new grandchild. When the quilt was given to the quilter it was perfectly square(the quilter commented on that). It has pinwheels, appliqued animals and shashing. The sashing since being quilted is no longer straight, the applique animals are puckered, the quilt is no longer square. As a fellow quilter I couldnt believe the condition it came back in. So my question to you is. Should she ask for the money back from the quilting. I say yes. Should she ask for the money that it is going to take to replace the fabric? What would you suggest she do?? Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 03:58 PM

Tell her you want a full refund and see if you can remove the stitching yourself. If it's ruined, I would have her pay to replace the fabric so you can make another one.

So sorry of your incident. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnutt
I am a longarmer and I really dislike it when other longarmers do not take the care and time on quilts.
I treat all quilts like they are mine. I do the best work.
If the quilt has issues,I tell the quilter and then I try to make it perfect however some issues CAN NOT be quilted out.
On your friends problem...yes ask for the $$ back,rip out the stitches and find a LA that is going to give the quilt the quilting that it deserves...the best.

One poster made the comment on quilting being too dense. That depends on the quilt,how the quilter wants it quilted,is is going in a show,every day use,going on a wall and never ever used. Heirloom quilting and the list goes on.
Bottom line..it is up to the customer on how she wants it quilted. If a customer tells me to do what I want. I have to let it "TALK" to me before I even start quilting it. However I do know in advance if it will be a show quilt or an ever day quilt.
Yes! We've not seen a pic so what condition was it in when the LA got it. One of my worst quilts to work on was 7" off square. That's hard to make it look perfect when finished (which it won't). That said, you should have been told up front what could be done if yours had any issues (which most quilts do).
Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 AM

this is just a terrible thing to happen to your friend, and the nerve of the long arm quilter even wanting to present this quilt in the condition she did is outrageous!! Of course, she should definitely get her money back
Old 08-27-2011, 05:57 AM

I'm curious to know what the final result of this complaint was? Any up-date for those of us following it? Would like to see the picture of it. Thanks
Beach Girl