Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm quilter question - >

Long arm quilter question -

Long arm quilter question -

Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM

Default Long arm quilter question -

Ok - I am a new long arm quilter and have been doing several charity quilts and I cannot figure out what exactly I am doing wrong or not doing right but here is the question. I can measure for square, be extremely careful about centering and everything else and when I get to the bottom, it seems to have grown in width somehow. Does anyone have any ideas? I am getting so frustrated and don't really know who to ask or where to look. I have tried looking online but haven't really found anything there either. Thanks so much in advance for any helpful tips. I have an APQS Millenium if that makes any difference.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM

do you baste before you quilt. Sometimes that helps alot.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

I usually stitch the sides (using the manual channel locks on my Innova) each time I roll a quilt if I expect to have any problems keeping the quilt straight and square. Also check before you start quilting to see if the quilt is square to begin with.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 PM

If you have an evening bar (one that the quilt goes under), you can put a measuring tape or even masking tape on it, marking where the quilt is supposed to line up as you roll it along. I know that in the beginning, I tended to stretch the quilt more than I should have.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:14 PM

Maybe ask your question on this thread for LAQ, http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t50450-7.html
Old 12-10-2011, 08:49 PM

I sometimes have that problem if I don't make sure I have 3-4 additional inches at the top and bottom.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:10 PM

I always float my tops. I use blue painters tape on the top bar to mark where the sides of the quilt are. Then as I advance the quilt, I just make sure the top is even with those marks. Since I've started doing this I rarely have issues.
I too, have an APQS Millennium...aren't they great?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

your batting and backing should be larger than your top when loaded onto the long-arm frame (4-5" larger all the way around) then after the quilting is done you lay the quilt out and trim it-square it before adding the binding.
the act of quilting draws up the fabric (much like embroidering or applique) which is why you need the backing/batting to be larger-to allow for the (drawing up) it all gets squared-cut to size before applying the binding.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:56 AM

I have found that the many quilts that get wider as we get to the end do so because the borders have not been measured correctly before they are sewn on. Strips are just cut and sewn on all sides making the quilt uneven all around. The quilt needs to be measured across the centers and the borders cut and sewn on based on these numbers. The quilt will then be almost even without that wide stretch when we are about reaching the end.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 AM

Thanks so much for all the great advice. The borders were put on correctly as I have made the quilts and know how to properly do the borders. I also float the tops and baste the side seams as I work the quilt. I will definitely use the painters tape though as I notice that the canvas doesn't always seem to roll 100% evenly or straight. Probably more practice will help. I have tried to measure at the top and the bottom before starting and even when the measurement is the same, it gets fatter by the time I am done. Thanks again. I will also post on that long arm link just in case someone has a good idea aside from all of these.