Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long-arm quilting machine question >

Long-arm quilting machine question

Long-arm quilting machine question

Old 09-19-2016, 03:59 AM

mamagrande: Just give a call to HQ out in Utah. They have great phone help. They have helped me on lots of things. Don't have phone # handy but it is online.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

It is a big investment. I would go to a big quilt show, even if you need to make it a road trip. All the vendors will be there and you can try them and talk to the dealers about ongoing service and classes.
everyone here will tell you they like their brand! I have a handiquilter and have been very happy.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I would say take your time to pick the one you want. I ended up with an INNOVA 26 inch, with lightening stitch, on a 12 ft table. Throat opening and table size are very important. You might also want to look into a used one.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:22 AM

No matter what machine you decide on, I recommend a computerized one. The quilting some of the Board members have done is magnificent, but I cannot do "freehand" quilting to save my soul. I'd much rather have a used machine with a computer than a new one without. JMO
Old 09-19-2016, 08:13 AM

I really want to get a system that has a computerized feature. I have seen the Gammill Vision, but it didn't look like it had the computer component to it, and I don't see that part on the website for anything but the Statler. The Statler models are just too pricey for me, unfortunately. I am looking at APQS and looking forward to the quilt show in Hattiesburg, MS in October where I know the dealer will have a set-up. Thank you, everyone, for all of the responses. I love that so many have named their machines.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Starling View Post
Hello everyone!

I am starting to look for my first long-arm quilt machine. I am looking for some feedback from y'all on what machines you like, what you think is important in a machine and what isn't so important. So far, I have found that Gammill seems like the Cadillac of them - costing about what I paid for my car... I realize that cost is relative, but I would like to know if anyone out there found any decent brands that perform like the big boys?? Anyway, any responses are appreciated. It's a big investment. TIA.
Before you get too attached to a "name" (meaning "brand"), go to one of the big quilt shows and test drive every machine there.
Then go back the next day, and drive them all again.
Do this for as many days as you can manage to be at the show.
I went to the AQS show the first year they were in Knoxville (I think that was 2009). I went every single day, and "drove" every single machine multiple times. And some of them more than once in the same day.

I found that FOR ME... the ones I liked best were among the least expensive.

You need to find out which ones you like the "feel" of the best. It's no different than a car - some people like little cars, some people like SUV's, some people like pickup trucks.

Then consider out of those you like best the other "issues" that come with having a longarm -
Cost; an available service center; proximity to that service center; online or telephone support; and so on.

My machine is a Viking Mega Quilter 18x8 (a rebranded Tin Lizzie). I bought mine online (from a dealer clear across the country from me). No computer with mine, and it has the low-end wooden frame. But I had already tried this brand at the show, and knew that I liked it. It did not kill my pocketbook, so I didn't end up with "buyer's remorse". I have had very few issues, and was able to resolve them all myself with the assistance of my Yahoo group (all of whom also own this machine).

I have heard the praises from owners of every brand... and also the curses of previous owners of every brand. That's why I say you need to test-drive as much as possible.

No matter which one you get, there will be a learning curve.
And each time you try a new kind of stitching (free motion, pantos, ruler work, couching, whatever) that will be another learning curve. The differences between wide backing and pieced backing is another learning curve.

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a machine, I'm just trying to help you set realistic expectations of what you will be able to do "immediately".

One more thing you need to realize....
If you get a computer system with your machine, you need to understand that it will NOT automatically make you into an award-winning quilter. It actually means you have TWO things to learn how to use - the longarm AND the robotic system.

Now that I have completely hogged the soap box, I will get down.
BTW, I paid less than $5K for my machine and frame, and set it up myself with only the printed instructions. And her name is "Beth".
Old 09-20-2016, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I second the innova
Make that a third, fourth...... Everyone I know who has them love them. I wish I had gotten that instead of the lemon Janome Artistic 18 I got.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:35 AM

I am also in the Innova camp. I learned on a non-regulated Nolting at the LQS and then they upgraded their rental to a non-regulated Gammill. The Gammill was heavy and always needed a diaper (lots of oiling required).

After we moved (retired), I started checking out different manufacturers. I checked out an HQ at the local Quilt Show (price was good, but the dealer told me I would have to bring in the 45# head for servicing every year - no house calls, even though I was local). Then the president of the guild I joined when we moved suggested I check out the Innova.

I went to the Innova dealer's store and tried it out. I really liked it, but wanted to make sure it was the best one for me, so looked at some others, tried it again at a show, and decided it was the one for me. I liked that the dealer didn't try to sell me a lot, also it is extremely low maintenance, very adjustable/easy to update (you don't have to buy a new head every time there is a change), as well as the 24/7 tech support.

I am very happy with mine. I bought the largest head (26") with a 12 foot table,because I make large quilts and sometimes like to put blocks on point. I am also only 5'2" and don't have a problem reaching.

That being said, I agree on 2 points with several other people: 1 - try different machines to see what works best for you, and 2 - look for a used machine. People sell machines for various reasons. However, I have noticed that I see fewer Innovas for sale (except for people getting larger machines, such as going from 18" to 22") than other brands.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I am another very satisfied "Innovian". I have the standard stitch regulator, not the lightening stitch and am very satisfied but I am considering upgrading to lightening stitch.

As so many others stated here, most of us are very happy with the brand we got. There are some with every brand that aren't. Take your time and research them all. I know of several Gammill quilters who have gone over to other brands and a couple of heavy hitter show quilters and instructors who have made the switch to Innova like Gina Perkes is now not only an Innova user but she is now a dealer! Gammill is probably the best known name brand but I would not consider it the "Cadillac" of LA. All brands have loyal customers and many National winners and teachers are quilting on all different machines. consider them all, A1, APQS, Bernina, Gammil, Handiquilter, Innova, Nolting, Block Rocket, Tin Lizzie/Janome, to name a few. Also you can consider a used machine. http://www.longarmuniversity.com/MachinesForSale.html

Take your time and do your homework. Most of us have researched, test drove and planned for over a year before taking the plunge. Here are other things to consider. I made a list of pros and cons when I was buying.

In addition to the "feel" of the machine make sure you have complete, unobstructed visibility of your quilting area if you plan on working from the front of the machine.

Rack features are very important. How strong and sturdy is the rack, is it easily adaptable. Does it have a tension roller (aka deadbar) so you don't have to constantly adjust the take up roller height or is that not important to you. What material is the carriage rails made of and how easily does the machine glide on it.

Is there a dealer nearby that will install it for you and you can easily turn to for help, training, support? IMHO a good dealer is worth their weight in gold. Especially with a purchase that can cost more than a luxury car (especially if you go full on robotics!)

How much oiling or maintenance does the machine require?

How easy is this machine to service yourself with things like timing, replacing a check spring, adjusting tension, troubleshooting.

what are your long term plans for longarming? Do you plan on quilting for others? If so check the warrantee of the machine, some brands limit the warrantee if using commercially (ie quilting for others).

There are loads of considerations.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 09-20-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
And her name is "Beth".
While I TOTALLY agree that you should test drive any machine you can get your hands on (I owned 3 diff systems before landing on Planet Innova), I love your machine's name!