Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Long Arm Quilting QUESTION >

A Long Arm Quilting QUESTION

A Long Arm Quilting QUESTION

Old 12-11-2010, 03:39 PM

I am sure this question has been asked and answered, but I need to ask it again. I've read off and on how there are long arm quilters on the board who do people's quilting for them. Would those of you who do this, be so kind as to answer a few questions.........obviously we would mail you the quilt so do you have price lists? and would we include the postage for you to send it back? and anything else you can think of to answer these questions, I would be so grateful. Thanks, as always, Wendy
Old 12-11-2010, 03:46 PM

I just had Rosemarie (rosemaynes) quilt 4 quilts that I am finishing for a client. Beautiful job. And - I thought - extremely reasonable prices. Her prices vary according to the complexity of the pattern and is priced per inch. I need to post feedback for her - and I will do tht now.

Before these quilts, I had always thought that LAQ was out of my price range. Now I know that it is not and will be forwarding a couple of personal quilts for her to do for me.

YADA YADA YADA - I do not have any affilitation with Rose, just a VERY satisified customer, soon to be a regular.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

stewyscrewy also la quilts
Old 12-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Happy Tails
I am sure this question has been asked and answered, but I need to ask it again. I've read off and on how there are long arm quilters on the board who do people's quilting for them. Would those of you who do this, be so kind as to answer a few questions.........obviously we would mail you the quilt so do you have price lists? and would we include the postage for you to send it back? and anything else you can think of to answer these questions, I would be so grateful. Thanks, as always, Wendy
Hi Wendy,

What I normally do is ask what size your quilt top is and then I send you a price quote with the prices for both a pantograph design (which is design that is repeated from one edge to the other edge) and for custom quilting. I also give them the choice of using their own batting or getting it from me. It saves on shipping cost that way. If they want a pantograph design I will sometimes ask if they can email me a picture of their quilt top so I can suggest different pantograph designs if they don't already have a design in mind. I also let them know that it is preferred if their backing fabric is at least 4" larger on all 4 sides than their top is. I don't charge extra for bobbins or thread but some LAQ do so that is always nice to know too. When a customer mails a top for me to do I notify them when I get the top. I usually let them know what my timeframe is to when I give them a price quote so they know what to expect. Normally my turnaround time is less than 2 weeks from when I receive the top. After I have finished quilting their top I take pictures to email them, then I email a request thru PayPal for payment with the cost of shipping their quilt back at that time. I normally receive confirmation of payment that same day and take the quilt to the post office where I normally ship them back priority mail with insurance unless otherwise requested. I do have a website that show my normal prices but since quilt tops vary in size it is easier and clearer to most for the individual price quotes. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask me. Also check out my feedback comments here on the board.

Thanks for the questions,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 12-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Banned

Wendy, my approach is about the same as Sherryl's. I have pictures of all my panto's posted on my website, along with my prices, and quilt preparation instructions.

I like to have a potential client email me a picture of their quilt if possible, and then we can discuss design, thread and batting choices.

You can visit my website (in my profile) for more information. Hope that helps!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:22 AM
Power Poster

if you type long-arm quilters into the search box it will get you to the list of long-armer's on the board,
some have regular price lists, some charge by the square inch; some provide batting, some - you send your batting.
you always pay for shipping AND INSURANCE! i try to use flat rate boxes and insurance is not expensive.
different quilters have different (styles) you should look at the pictures (or the real thing) and see the type of quilting each one does and choose a quilter who quilts the way you like and charges what you can afford. when you contact a long-arm quilter about services she/he will go over their policies, turn around time, prices, and how they would like your top prepared (nicely squared, loose threads removed, pressed--backing larger than the top, pressed, square)
try to find someone in your area that way you can visit, see their work first hand and talk about what you want on your quilt.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:38 PM

Thank you so much, you guys are so helpful to everybody,