Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm quilting and spray baste >

Long arm quilting and spray baste

Long arm quilting and spray baste

Old 12-20-2016, 09:30 PM

Default Long arm quilting and spray baste

I have a finished pieced quilt top, the back and batting have already been spray basted. Can I load the back and batting on the long arm frame and then float the top to long arm quilt it? I'm thinking it should work but would like to know before I screw it up.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:32 AM
Gay

I don't see any reason why you can't do it. I have a LA with a 10ft frame - never really thought about spray basting the batting on, just attach the backing, lay the batting over and stitch it down.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

When you roll the backing/batting onto the front roller, I would keep it a little looser than usual. Every time you advance the quilt, flip the top up and examine the new section of batting & backing, smoothing it if needed.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
When you roll the backing/batting onto the front roller, I would keep it a little looser than usual. Every time you advance the quilt, flip the top up and examine the new section of batting & backing, smoothing it if needed.
What PaperPrincess said....and keep an eye on your needle. The long arm needle moves so much faster (as a rule), than a domestic machine. You might need to clean it off occasionally off the needle if it picks up some of the spray basting. I would unthread the eye and wipe the needle with rubbing alcohol...maybe when I change the bobbin...and of COURSE not over the quilt. (I only say that as that is something I might do. I get squirrelly like that sometimes!)