Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm quilting >

long arm quilting

long arm quilting

Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 PM

Default long arm quilting

I have a new HQ Fusion and am ready (I think...) to quilt a sampler quilt. I have only quilted with a single color so far. Can I quilt all the blocks I want with same color, then roll back and use another color on other blocks, then roll back and do sashing and borders?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:52 AM

Yes, you can. I generally stitch in the ditch the entire quilt first to stabilize it. Then I roll back and add in detail work. If you're not doing stitch in the ditch you'll want to pin baste your quilt on the frame so that the layers don't shift when you roll it up and create puckers or distortion when you unroll back up top again to finish borders or fill in different areas.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 AM

Of course you can. Remember to put the quilt on the frame like you should by sewing/basting the top and bottom together first and also stay stitch the sides. before you do the quilting. In LA quilting it is best to go from the outside in, as opposed to DSM quilting where it is best to go from the center out.

You might want to get red snappers and instead of sewing/basting down the sides as you go consider just turning the quilt after sewing/basting the top and bottom then do what is the new top and bottom [but was your sides before.]

I don't know where you are from but down here one of our dealers has a free HQ club monthly and it is really fun. We also have a LA guild which is supposed to be great [I haven't gone yet though.]