Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm question >

Longarm question

Longarm question

Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 PM

Default Longarm question

What is making "eyelashes" on my pebbling? I would think that the eyelashes would indicate loose bobbin thread or too tight top thread. My top thread is definitely not tight and my bobbin thread stands the bobbin on its side when I pull the thread up. I was doing my bobbin thread that way rather than the "yo yo way on the bobbin." I hope this is making sense? I read where it is said that a large part of tension problem is from bobbin but I know my top tension was too loose because the was a large space between rod and tension plate. Does this make any sense?
Old 08-05-2014, 06:04 PM

I have had trouble too when the hopping foot was a titch too high. I try to keep about a dime's width between the bottom of the hopping foot and the fabric.

I also always check the bobbin tension with the TOWA gauge, every bobbin. And I find big differences in the top tension needed for different threads, even when they are the same weight. So many things to check!

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 PM

Is your machine on a frame or are you doing the ol' push-n-shove through a DSM on a table?

Try slowing down a bit. I've had eyelashing when I move the machine too fast.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 PM

I get eyelashes on the back when I move too fast! Ann

Edit: Great minds think alike. We must have posted almost at the same time.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
Edit: Great minds think alike. We must have posted almost at the same time.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

I've also had eyelashing when my bobbin is not wound properly.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 AM

Slow down!!!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:28 AM
Gay

Is the eyelashing on the underneath side? If so check that your top thread is firm in the tension discs. If you can pull the top thread through the needle easily while the foot is down the tension needs tightening, or it's not threaded correctly.
With the bobbin, you say it stands on end if you pull the thread up, does it not unravel? If not the tension there may be too tight.
You might be getting backlash from the bobbin turning too fast. I just cut a small circle of cotton fabric, cut a hole in the middle, and fit it into the bobbin casing before inserting the bobbin. It seems to stop that problem.
You might have to play with them both to find that happy medium.

Good luck.

Last edited by Gay; 08-06-2014 at 02:32 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-06-2014, 03:15 AM

I get eyelashing on the bottom with my Voyager when the presser foot (mine sticks occasionally) has caught and not completely down. Also if the upper thread is some how misthreaded or not in the tension disks properly.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Yes you are making sense. You are using Jamie Wallen's method of testing bobbin tension. We need to know if the eyelashes are showing up on the top or the bottom. If on the bottom that means your bobbin tension is too tight or you could have a blob of lint caught in the bobbin case spring (which happens to me quite often when quilting with 100% cotton bobbin thread in the bobbin or quilt has a flannel back.) Or your top is way too loose or slipped out of a tension disc. If on the top, the reverse is true, to truly confuse things, I have had the same infamous blob of lint in the spring also make my bobbin tension go way too loose!. Speed can also effect it but for the most part, in my experience, it is usually a tension issue. I can go pretty fast when pebbling and making big swoopy feathers and when my tension is good I never get eyelashes. But if it is off then I get them ranging from teeny to big whoppers.